Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys
I have just bought a vintage berg larsen metal mouthpiece. I would like to know how old it could be. It has vertical stripes on the facing and a bullet chamber. In the store they said its from the 60s but on the web i have found an article on theo wanne portal that these kind of mouthpieces were made 70-80. I will link the pictures below. Also if any of you have reed suggestions on it i am happy to hear it. Also what does this worth?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I don't know what Bergs looked like in the 60's. But yours looks exactly like the ones I bought in the late 70's and early 80's. What I've seen lately goes for $200 USD +/- $50. Not sure if demand for such a closed tip would be as great as a bigger tip.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,076 Posts
That is a 50’s era berg, based on the font and the denim table. $250-$300 or so is a Good ballpark. Those are great pieces!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thank you guys so much. It really does play exceptionally well. But the ligature is a bit crooked. Any suggestions what ligature should i replace it with?

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Don't order a new Berg ligature, they are too tight on a vintage Berg metal mouthpiece.
they sell 3 sizes, available from berglarsen.com. I don't know for a fact, but I'd expect the vintage size may work.

Weiner music offers 2 sizes. You may be able to find it in a local store in your country.

That said, like JacobMW, I'm a big fan of Rovners.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Which rovner would fit? And would be the best?
They have lots of models. You'll have to choose your favorite. I like their Classic Dark.
They also have a very good sizing tool where you enter the brand, model and it gives you the right size.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
(deleted - duplicate)

well, since I had a duplicated post, might as well just fill it in.

on your question "which would be best", just wanna comment that you should choose once that is most practical for you to use. choose it for how it feels to you, not because it would sound better to a listener. we all know the ligature has negligible, if not zero effect on the latter, QED:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah i was only asking because in my country it is hard to get this. And i am considering buying it on the internet and don't want to order one that would not fit. On the rovner site for the sizing guide which model should i choose?

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
On the rovner site for the sizing guide which model should i choose?
I can't help with that since I use the original ligatures on my Bergs. But I did try Rovner's sizing tool on the 3 stainless steel models they list, excluding the thin model and it seems the answer is always the same. check for yourself. there is a good chance that could work for your 50's model, but I can't guarantee.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,251 Posts
That is a 50’s era berg, based on the font and the denim table. $250-$300 or so is a Good ballpark. Those are great pieces!
Why is this a 50s era mouthpiece when the SMS is not offset? I am not arguing; just asking for personal edification.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Why is this a 50s era mouthpiece when the SMS is not offset? I am not arguing; just asking for personal edification.
The 50's Bergs had the "typewriter font' which this one does not have.. I would guess this piece is from the early 70's.

·
Registered
Alto: Buescher Aristocrat, Tenor: Yanagisawa T880, Bari: Selmer La Voix II
145 Posts
The denim strongly implies original machine

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,792 Posts
are you sure the bukllet chamber hasn’t been reworked? Looks pretty rough and plenty uneven

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
29,876 Posts
Looks pretty rough and plenty uneven
That was quite common for these though wasn’t it?

One of my first tenor mouthpieces was a 130/0 sms gold plated Berg. Rough as anything inside.

I thought the facing looks reworked though due to the shape of the tip rail and also the colouring you see on plated pieces that have been refaced but then I wondered, if it is a solid stainless steel, why would the rails have a different colour?

(Not to mention who in their right mind would want to reface steel?)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts