Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I was told that you guys might know something about these mouthpieces that I have and am looking to sell.

One is an old metal Selmer jazz D with a short shank, the other two are metal Berg Larsens.

Here's a link to some (crappy) pics:
I was wondering if you guys knew any information about age/worth on these; I think I know some about the Berg Larsens, but I have no idea how old the Selmer is.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
The Selmer's from between 1954 and 1970. They went away from the Airflow logo and fluted sides in 1954 or '55 to that one, which is the same as the short- and long-shank Soloists. They switched to the current logo in the late '60s or early '70s, I think a bit before the MkVII came out.
I know nothing about Bergs except how to read the tip/baffle/facing.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,410 Posts
Those look like old Bergs with the 'denim' stoneground facings, and can fetch a lot of money--better pics are essential!
The Selmer D 'Jazz' metal is difficult, these were very popular with Dance Band/Pit/ Jobbing musicians in England and some are very good indeed. I'm surprised this doesnt have a 'scroll shank'-- in UK all the short shank metals from that era were scrolled.

·
Banned
8,336 Posts
One of the Bergs is offset the 130/0...very desirable. The other isn't offset 110/2..not valuable particularly.

No Selmer Jazz pieces have scroll shanks..the Selmer Classic metal have scroll shanks. Is this Jazz a tenor or alto piece? The alto ones were fairly popular once but they aren't valuable neither are the tenors.

They might all be excellent or mediocre players. The valuable one is the 130/0 Berg

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,275 Posts
But its an SMS. Most would prefer the M facing in the 130/0. Personally, I like the beak on the 110/2/M. I bet they're both blowing mouthpieces.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
276 Posts
Those look like old Bergs with the 'denim' stoneground facings, and can fetch a lot of money--better pics are essential!
The Selmer D 'Jazz' metal is difficult, these were very popular with Dance Band/Pit/ Jobbing musicians in England and some are very good indeed. I'm surprised this doesnt have a 'scroll shank'-- in UK all the short shank metals from that era were scrolled.
Can you explain what is meant by the "denim" facing or denim table on Bergs? Thx

1 - 6 of 6 Posts