Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello forum, this is my 1st real post, so don't be too harsh :tsk:

I recently purchased a vintage Alexandre Borgiani Alto Sax on Ebay.

It is in non-playable condition and was purchased to make a saxophone lamp with my son.

So what I wanted to know is that what is the best way to clean up this old horn? *It is not for playing so a solution to clean entirely is welcomed :lick: *

Thanks!!! :bluewink:

*Example Photo*

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
1,526 Posts
Making a saxophone into a lamp is possibly the basest, most non-musically germane subject for an interrogative on this saxophone site... Vinegar is cheap for cleaning with a rag, polish the thing with Brasso and spray it with clear acrylic lacquer from a spray can... Voila' ... 'crapola' ... But hey! Build a wall lamp... Even a 'double wide' has space limitations...

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,889 Posts
Well, the sax in the picture is a very valuable Selmer Mark VI and making that one into a lamp is not only sacrilegious but stupid since it is worth a lot of money in any shape it might have been to start with.

An Alexander (you say made by Borgani) is not , however, in the same league and might not be made playable without spending too much for the operation to be worth it and therefore could qualify into the " sax lamp " category (why do people want to make kitsch lamps using clarinet or saxophones as base is a mystery to me......). If that's what you want .......so be it.

If you don't disassemble the horn whichever method you use will not clean the horn well in all its many recesses and will make some of its parts rust (the springs and other ferrous parts) and will make a mess where the pads are.

The long and winding road is to take the horn apart , immerse into hot water all its disassembled parts , remove the lacquer with a brush, clean with brasso what's left (by this time the pads are not there anymore....... oh yeah this is most of the work that you would have needed to do to fix the damn thing......) put back together (glue or solder the keys to the toneholes , remember the pads should have been removed or look like ****e after all that ) spray a coat of lacquer and make into a lamp.

A lot of work and will look like a kitsch lamp anyway.

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
Heh, the funny thing is, about 4 or 5 pads fell off a soon as I took it out of the box...
Sounds like a lamp to me.

There's another school of thought for these Borganis.... For US$50 you can have someone use a 10 ton press to squash it nearly complete flat and then put a frame around it. Makes pretty good wall art.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts