Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
I been practicing the Getz lick you posted a couple months ago for a few weeks now and can only play it in a handful of keys at speed. I just read it in one key and then figured the rest out by ear but it takes me hours to even get to the point where I can stumble through them this way.

Is there some faster way to get them to a place where they or some portion of them are actually useable in a solo? A friend of mine showed me the set of Dan Zinn's "Zinn and the Art of Saxophone Playing" books he just bought and I just laughed. I could live to be 1000 years old and not get through that many licks and patterns at the rate I'm going.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I been practicing the Getz lick you posted a couple months ago for a few weeks now and can only play it in a handful of keys at speed. I just read it in one key and then figured the rest out by ear but it takes me hours to even get to the point where I can stumble through them this way.

Is there some faster way to get them to a place where they or some portion of them are actually useable in a solo? A friend of mine showed me the set of Dan Zinn's "Zinn and the Art of Saxophone Playing" books he just bought and I just laughed. I could live to be 1000 years old and not get through that many licks and patterns at the rate I'm going.
For me, If I can sing it and understand is numerically (in the way that Artem outlines in the sheet music) then I can take it through the keys, but unfortunately there's no short cut! Atleast not that I've found... Personally I use the numbers to transpose and rely on my ear to check, others with a stronger ear might do it the other way round.

The only thing I'd add is that it does get considerably easier as your vocabularly grows as there is often significant overlap between phrases. For example, I've never played the phrase in this video before but I've actually played each bar of it as part of other "licks"! (I learnt Bar 1 in a Coltrane ii V, bar 2 it a standard altered lick, and bar 3 is just an Gmaj9 arpeggions off the 3rd).

You could always trying breaking it down and doing it bar by bar?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

It's fine to play them by ear, but I would strong recommend to learn them numerically. Don't be discouraged if it doesn't come out straight away, maybe you could start with some easier patterns.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.