Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am currently interested in purchasing a new saxophone, and it has basically come down to the three at the topic, I want this one for jazz specifically. If you have any insight on these instruments, that'd be greatly appreciated. I am not able to try these instruments out currently, as to being I have no professional music stores in my area. Thank you.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,264 Posts
1) JK
2) Viking or Cannonball

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
I've played all three.... I would say the Cannonball is not in the same league as the other two.

The Keilwerth and Viking are totally different animals in terms of sound and ergonomics, and I imagine you would lean strongly towards one or the other if you could try them both. It might be worth talking to Rich Maraday at Viking.....I believe he used to play a Keilwerth and could give you great insight into both horns. I like the Viking much better because of the sound and how it feels in my hands, but others feel the opposite.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I like and play a Keilwerth sx90r bn. I also have a Mark VI as back-up. I had a Cannonball, big bell stone series, and hated it!...table keys were clunky, was heavy, key action just didn't feel right, and I didn't care for the sound...but I have to say that one player I like alot, Keith Anderson, plays on Cannonball now, I believe, so....I like the way the Viking saxes look, sound!...haven't played one though. I would go with either Keilwerth or Viking. I think you get a trial period with Viking, but am not sure about that...anyways, Good Luck!

·
Registered
379 Posts
I have owned all three and still owe two of the three. The Cannonball big bell tenor is a nice horn, but it simply did not work for me. I currently have the C-ball Arc soprano that I like, but have my heart set on something different. I've played the Keilwerth for 3-4 years, fantastic horn, but my sound concept has changed and my Viking M58S is now my go to horn. Nothing wrong mechanically or sound wise with the SX90. It is just a personal preference. There are a number of pros playing the JK SX 90 or SX90R, Kirk Whalum, Ernie Watts, Ron Blake (SNL band and Chris McBride band) and others so it really comes down to personal choice.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I like and play a Keilwerth sx90r bn. I also have a Mark VI as back-up. I had a Cannonball, big bell stone series, and hated it!...table keys were clunky, was heavy, key action just didn't feel right, and I didn't care for the sound...but I have to say that one player I like alot, Keith Anderson, plays on Cannonball now, I believe, so....I like the way the Viking saxes look, sound!...haven't played one though. I would go with either Keilwerth or Viking. I think you get a trial period with Viking, but am not sure about that...anyways, Good Luck!
Yes there is a trial period and a lengthy discussion with the potential customer to understand expectations.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
This a no brainer than...I would go with Viking...as already mentioned, Cannonball is not in the same league as the other two. I've had 4 keilwerth's , and 2 Couf's, they are basically the same thing as Keilwerth. Two of the Keilwerth's I had, a 110xxx and a 122xxx, had pads that would stick like crazy, no matter what I did I couldn't get rid of that problem. The third tenor, a 95xxx, the intonation was so off on it, couldn't play it in any of my bands. Fourth Keilwerth, a 108xxx, I like it alot, and it's my main horn now. I bought it from a member on here.
The two Couf's that I had, one was really good, never should have sold it, the other one which I bought on here, the intonation in the palm keys was atrocious!!

Actually I was going to get a Viking, like the way they look and sound, and for the price you can't beat them...but the Keilwerth came up on here, and the price was soo low on it, I just had to get it, and I lucked out on it, it's an amazing tenor.

So give Rich Maraday a call, I've never met him, or spoke with him before, but he seems/sounds like good people, and as he said, he gives a trial period on his saxes...I don't think Keilwerth does that, once you buy it, that's it, I believe, plus they are alot more expensive...Anyways Good Luck Esayo!

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
This a no brainer than...I would go with Viking...as already mentioned, Cannonball is not in the same league as the other two. I've had 4 keilwerth's , and 2 Couf's, they are basically the same thing as Keilwerth. Two of the Keilwerth's I had, a 110xxx and a 122xxx, had pads that would stick like crazy, no matter what I did I couldn't get rid of that problem. The third tenor, a 95xxx, the intonation was so off on it, couldn't play it in any of my bands. Fourth Keilwerth, a 108xxx, I like it alot, and it's my main horn now. I bought it from a member on here.
The two Couf's that I had, one was really good, never should have sold it, the other one which I bought on here, the intonation in the palm keys was atrocious!!

Actually I was going to get a Viking, like the way they look and sound, and for the price you can't beat them...but the Keilwerth came up on here, and the price was soo low on it, I just had to get it, and I lucked out on it, it's an amazing tenor.

So give Rich Maraday a call, I've never met him, or spoke with him before, but he seems/sounds like good people, and as he said, he gives a trial period on his saxes...I don't think Keilwerth does that, once you buy it, that's it, I believe, plus they are alot more expensive...Anyways Good Luck Esayo!
Thanks Joe. The 2 brands mentioned including my own Viking are built and made with good intentions for the player. I'm at a disadvantage because I'm the little guy and have a lot to prove. Viking pricing structure is player friendly by design. No new saxophone should cost more then $3000.00 just our opinion. Work situations are drying up and people need a break from this nonsense. This sick pricing is ridiculous and is not serving the greater saxophone community. Vintage collector saxophones excluded. Antiques are antiques and they have special value..

·
Registered
379 Posts
Esayo,

Rich Maraday really does have the player at heart. You'll see, hear and feel it once you talk with him, and try one his saxes. You'll be hooked. Go for the sound.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The Vikings are exceptionel. I own an M58s UL (first batch) and an M60. Both are great horns and they get nearly all playing time.

Rich is doing a really good job on these. Thank you!

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,904 Posts
I have had the opportunity to play all three of these horns. The Keilwerths are nice playing horns, but I hated the ergonomics, it felt so big and clunky to me. I feel the Cannonball is good if you just want really big and bright; it didn't have a ton of core to the sound, but if you're doing rock and roll only you might do well with the CB. I feel the Viking horns are absolutely the best buy; the M60 Valkyrie is a pretty amazing horn and the M58's are really really versatile and have a great center.

- Saxaholic

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
Never blew a Viking but from what I heard and hear there great horns and priced great. Blew a Cannonball and not a fan, strange sound I found. Had 4 JK's over the years. Love them I do. Very different sound they have, all there own. Rich would sort you a trial i'm sure

·
Registered
379 Posts
Hello, I am currently interested in purchasing a new saxophone, and it has basically come down to the three at the topic, I want this one for jazz specifically. If you have any insight on these instruments, that'd be greatly appreciated. I am not able to try these instruments out currently, as to being I have no professional music stores in my area. Thank you.
Easyo,

My new Viking M58S NY /RTH arrived on Monday. After playing it for the past three days, I can truly say from the perspective of sound, feel, and overall build of the horn, it blows my former Keilwerth SX90 away. The sound is incredible, and it can match the Keilwerth in volume, playability (key action, key board setup), intonation and jumping from the low Bb to the altissimo register with ease. When you consider the price, quality of the body lacquer finish, silver plating finish on the keys, lightning fast key work, and lastly the sound, I don't believe any other sax can compare. It's the core sound that set these instruments apart from the others. Lastly, you'll save a lot of money, and get a high quality, professional saxophone that you will love right out of the box. You received some great feedback from some great players, so let us know what you decide.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Thanks Hue .. I'm so happy you like the NY. Thanks! NY Soprano coming soon and it will be extraordinary .
My new Viking M58S NY /RTH arrived on Monday. After playing it for the past three days, I can truly say from the perspective of sound, feel, and overall build of the horn, it blows my former Keilwerth SX90 away. The sound is incredible, and it can match the Keilwerth in volume, playability (key action, key board setup), intonation and jumping from the low Bb to the altissimo register with ease. When you consider the price, quality of the body lacquer finish, silver plating finish on the keys, lightning fast key work, and lastly the sound, I don't believe any other sax can compare. It's the core sound that set these instruments apart from the others. Lastly, you'll save a lot of money, and get a high quality, professional saxophone that you will love right out of the box. You received some great feedback from some great players, so let us know what you decide.[/QUOTE]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts