Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

Someone suggested Viking M58 as the poor man's Mark VI with a good core. I heard other reviews about its altissimo range being easier and clearer sounding than some other tenor saxes.
I recently got a comment that Viking M40 sounds richer and more Selmer like than M58.

I'm wondering if someone can comment on Viking sound characteristic (core, Selmer sounding, etc) and also if someone has compared the two models, and what do you think? Which of the two has a stronger core character? Which one do you think is a better sax. I have a Yamaha YTS-61. Do you think I will get more core character out of Viking, and possibly not regretting to switch from 61 to the Viking by means of sax built quality and sound in general.

Thanks.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,207 Posts

Let me say a couple of things, if I may:

1).....why not just contact Viking authorized dealer and ask them ? I am SURE there are folks here who can help direct you to one. From there, I am gonna guess that a dealer can certainly provide you with sound samples of both for comparison sake.

2)...are you really going to go buy a horn which is reputed be 'the poor man's Mark VI' ...whatever the heck this means....
...and dump your 61.... based upon your belief that the horn you are gonna end up with has will be that 'selmer-sound' horn you are desperately seeking because it has been marketed as having the 'core sound' of a VI...or marketed as being designed based on a VI ?

You see, you asked this question about wanting to find the Mark VI-ish horn which doesn't cost as much as a Mark VI. Like countless other people have also wished for. (Who wouldn't wanna find an item which costs 1/4 of what a top-market item does and essentially performs just as well ?)

But nobody here really knows exactly what your interpretation of being Mark VI-ish....is.....or means. (Have you defined the qualities of Mark VIishness....for yourself...already ?).

Have you, for example, tried any of these..next to a Mark VI ? Have you played any VI's ?

Have you played any VI's...next to other horns ? Have you played any VI's next to other selmer models ?

...next to other vintage French, German, and American horns ? Next to other contemporary horns like Yanis or Yamas or Mauriats or Cannonballs, just to name some of the obvious few ?

Many folks who live in areas away from larger cities have no such luxury. In which case....

Have you listened to any sound samples of both horns ?....recorded with the same equipment, played by the same player with the same setup, etc ? This way you can see/hear precisely what the sonic differences are. Or are you going on the faith of what some folks have suggested in your somewhat hard-to-grasp question from your other thread....basically taking their word for it ?

In the world of internet sales, this is what folks do oftentimes. I am not criticizing that one way or the other (certainly not me).
But ....IF this is how you have decided to purchase a particular brand.... then as I suggested...just talk to a person who deals in 'em, and ask them.

And if you are worried that once you get the horn it will NOT be what you wanted it to be (a distinct... possibility... in today's world), then make sure you can return it if it doesn't suit you.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
You can call me if you like for info and sound samples. 845-361-9353 .
Let me say a couple of things, if I may:

1).....why not just contact Viking authorized dealer and ask them ? I am SURE there are folks here who can help direct you to one. From there, I am gonna guess that a dealer can certainly provide you with sound samples of both for comparison sake.

2)...are you really going to go buy a horn which is reputed be 'the poor man's Mark VI' ...whatever the heck this means....
...and dump your 61.... based upon your belief that the horn you are gonna end up with has will be that 'selmer-sound' horn you are desperately seeking because it has been marketed as having the 'core sound' of a VI...or marketed as being designed based on a VI ?

You see, you asked this question about wanting to find the Mark VI-ish horn which doesn't cost as much as a Mark VI. Like countless other people have also wished for. (Who wouldn't wanna find an item which costs 1/4 of what a top-market item does and essentially performs just as well ?)

But nobody here really knows exactly what your interpretation of being Mark VI-ish....is.....or means. (Have you defined the qualities of Mark VIishness....for yourself...already ?).

Have you, for example, tried any of these..next to a Mark VI ? Have you played any VI's ?

Have you played any VI's...next to other horns ? Have you played any VI's next to other selmer models ?

...next to other vintage French, German, and American horns ? Next to other contemporary horns like Yanis or Yamas or Mauriats or Cannonballs, just to name some of the obvious few ?

Many folks who live in areas away from larger cities have no such luxury. In which case....

Have you listened to any sound samples of both horns ?....recorded with the same equipment, played by the same player with the same setup, etc ? This way you can see/hear precisely what the sonic differences are. Or are you going on the faith of what some folks have suggested in your somewhat hard-to-grasp question from your other thread....basically taking their word for it ?

In the world of internet sales, this is what folks do oftentimes. I am not criticizing that one way or the other (certainly not me).
But ....IF this is how you have decided to purchase a particular brand.... then as I suggested...just talk to a person who deals in 'em, and ask them.

And if you are worried that once you get the horn it will NOT be what you wanted it to be (a distinct... possibility... in today's world), then make sure you can return it if it doesn't suit you.

·
Banned
2,844 Posts
I have done all those things that JayPDX asks other than comparing new Selmer Paris horns. I have these American, German, and Selmers right here in my house. I have two MkVI and Balanced Action. I have sold two pro Yamaha horns.

I find Yamaha to be very fine horns, but sound generic to my ear.

The question for me is really what Taiwan horn has the most vintage type tones, response, etc. I have a CannonBall MadMeg. I find the tones with the Fatneck and my particular MPC very pleasing. I have a Taishan tenor that has a more pleasing tone quality to the Yamaha 62 I sold.

Yet I am still interested in the Viking.

·
Banned
941 Posts
Call Rich and buy one. They are excellent horns and 1/3 or more less costly than similar brands made in taiwan. And, you have enough horns to know how to compare them. Rich will probably allow you to return a horn if you don't want it. I found his horns to be better sounding and playing than any modern Yamaha i have played and any of the Cannonball horns.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts