Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like some opinions of folks who've played these.

Viking M58 Alto, pristine shape: these are supposed to be like SBAs, does anyone think that's true? I see prices that are all over the place, what do you think it's worth, ballpark, for a 100% lacquer horn? I don't even see any scratches on it.

Cannonball Big Bell alto from around 2004, not the stone series. The bell is crunched and it's a little beat up, but I can get that fixed. I've played Cannonballs before, quite a while ago, and I thought they were better than okay. I don't see any of this model for sale anywhere though, what do you think they're worth once repaired and put back in top playing shape?

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
4,414 Posts
The Vikings had several models with several different designs. Some differences were purely cosmetic (engraving, key guards, etc), some were more important (alloy, neck-types, different tubes and bells). I’ve heard very few negative, if any, things about any of them. The ones I’ve owned (2 tenors) and played (5-6T and 2A) have all been fine horns. I see no need to ever replace my tenor.

The pre-stone series Cannonballs were inconsistent, but in general the Cannonball Altos are way better than the tenors IMHO (owned several and played a bunch) I wouldn’t spend the bread to fix a Big Bell unless I knew for a fact it was a great player before the damage.

Value: Viking as described: $1700-2000
Cannonball as described $300. In PC $500. Completely repaired as new $900.
Local markets vary, but a horn I can test is always worth more than an internet contender to me.

·
Banned
2,844 Posts
I think the Big Bell is the same horn as the Stone series and a good saxophone. However I would probably buy the Viking. I have owned both in tenor. I'd give the CB a little higher value than swperry1. I also think the estimate on the Viking is a little high.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I think the Big Bell is the same horn as the Stone series and a good saxophone. However I would probably buy the Viking. I have owned both in tenor. I'd give the CB a little higher value than swperry1. I also think the estimate on the Viking is a little high.
From about 2001-2004, the Big Bell was called the Global Series, and then the Stone Series was introduced.

I agree about the Viking price estimate- a like-new Viking alto just sold on eBay for under a grand.

·
Registered
5,565 Posts
I'm actually surprised those Vikings sold for THAT low. Seems to be a buyer's market right now.
No matter how good an instrument may be, if it's from a discontinued brand that was both short-lived and never widely distributed in the first place, the number of potential buyers will be small.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,571 Posts
I'm actually surprised those Vikings sold for THAT low. Seems to be a buyer's market right now.
That is typical for relatively unknown brands offered at eflay. Borgani Jubilee horns seldom bring a good price - hence, I have been able to acquire a few great horns for (relatively) not a lot of money. They retailed at Roberto’s for over $5k, and seldom draw greater than $2k at the bay.

Know your market, have your money ready.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts