Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my name is Rich Maraday owner of Viking Instruments. After much market research and against all the advice of my music industry friends I decided to add my own brand to the line of TK Melody saxophones we distribute. The TK Melody line is very special and the quality is first rate. Plus you can't beat the price. We now have the sax section in Keith Prays big band in the capital district playing them and they are die hard TK owners. These guys are Jazz professors and heavy NY pro players who used to play VI's.With that being said I have added the Viking legend Series. The Viking M58 will fit nicely in the line up because it offers a vintage Selmer sound and feel with out the high f#. We have spent a lot of time looking at other brands and have decided to have a keep it simple throw back desighn that has a vintage French look and feel with Mark VI /SBA style keys, no high F# and fast taper neck. This brass was key. We are using a thinner walled brass with high copper that really seems to vibrate . The brass was the key to the sound of this horn and the use of less post rib construction to control the weight. We really wanted to capture the feedback behind the horn that most sax players desire while not sacrificing core. I know you are saying here we go again another horn from Taiwan.... Honestly I did this with understanding that it would be a long road . My goal was to have a horn built that would have all the thing s that I liked about the SBA and 5 digit Selmer vintage horns that I have owned in the past. SBA engraving, Dark Laquer , Great feedback behind the horn, Core, Fat bottom , fast simple action with MK VI style keys with pearl bis, straight tone holes and reduced weight. This is a throwback horn. It may not be for every body but maybe a great backup horn for a guy who is a hard core vintage selmer guy or a great quality Pro horn for all players. I'm offering these in 3 finishes. Vintage Dark gold laquer, Gold plate, and silver plate. Please call me for pricing. You guys are a tough crowd so I expect some ball breaking . I'm ok with that.... Better pictures on the way. :mrgreen:

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,037 Posts
Re: Viking Instruments announces The Viking "Legend Series" M58 Tenor Saxophone

I going to be the first to "bust your #$#%."

Get better pictures!

Best of luck on your new line Rich.

BB

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,056 Posts
Looks nice !

I think there could be a niche market for a "Selmer style" low Bb baritone. I know that the market will be a lot smaller than for tenors and altos, but there are many companies offering A & T horns and none that I know of offering S or B. And the low Bb model would be popular with people who can't get a modern Selmer, Yamaha, Yanagisawa bari without the low A.

Just a thought.

Rhys

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your suggestion..We are on the same page I just ordered a M58 legend Series Bb Bari for a customer and it will have all the same specs , materials and keys as the M58 tenor. Also a M58 one piece soprano and Alto ...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,056 Posts
Thank you for your suggestion..We are on the same page I just ordered a M58 legend Series Bb Bari for a customer and it will have all the same specs , materials and keys as the M58 tenor. Also a M58 one piece soprano and Alto ...
Very interesting. Hope to see some pics of that and information on pricing.

Rhys

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
258 Posts
Good luck, Rich!

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,037 Posts
Hey Terje!

Rich. I still can not read the engraving above the brand. Are you going to have them on your T.K. Melody site or start another website?

B

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Terje!!! modman , I think I may start another site when the line is in full swing.. For the time being the TK site will have pics and info soon. The line over the logo will be enlarged .. It says " DEDICATED TO THE LEGENDS OF THE TENOR SAXOPHONE"

·
Registered
47 Posts
I suggest your hire a graphic designer to rework the look of your company logo and model engraving. Something in keeping with the heritage of the instrument. The font and logo depicted seems like a generic choice out of an engraver library menu. Designers can help with the coherence of these details.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Legend Series is now in Script on the new batch of Tenors . Viking is still bold. The triangles are one version of the Viking -Valknut. This is a process and SATW is welcome to put in Ideas. You guys get a discount when the dust settles... I have 5 orders as of today. I know Phil ...talked many times when I worked at USA HORN...

·
Registered
27 Posts
I went to Viking to pick up a copper neck for my JK Tenor and got a chance to try this horn the other day and I gotta say I'm really impressed with what I've been seeing coming out of these shops in Houli. This horn looked and felt great and had a nice buzz throughout the entire range. Altissimo was effortless and intonation was great. It's different than the other Tiawanese horn's I've tried in that it was lighter, and resonated more. The tone was centerd with like a cusion of sub/overtone around it. Real nice, very Selmer like look and feel. By the way, I've had a couple of dealings now with Rich Maraday's Viking Musical Instruments and my experience has been very good. Nice guy, fair, reasonable... good business.

·
Banned
1,611 Posts
I love how this horn looks! You captured the vintage color better than anyone has so far. My TM custom is quite a bit darker as are the Cannonballs. I would love to play one. I will be the evil one and ask, How Much? What is MAP price?

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,037 Posts
Legend Series is now in Script on the new batch of Tenors . Viking is still bold. The triangles are one version of the Viking -Valknut. This is a process and SATW is welcome to put in Ideas. You guys get a discount when the dust settles... I have 5 orders as of today. I know Phil ...talked many times when I worked at USA HORN...
Rich please post better pictures of these improvements. I am dying here. ;)

B

1 - 20 of 72 Posts