Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 213 Posts

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Viking Instruments is having one more model saxophone made close to the sound of a Balanced action. Based on the comments of customers the Legend Series M58 has really been tested and accepted and I know if additional players take a shot and try the horn there is a good chance they will find some thing good to say about it. All the players who have purchase M58 tenors have compared the sound to an SBA or very early MKVI.

The new Model is called the Viking ACOUSTIC BALANCE M40. It has seperated low B and Bb bell keys wired octave mechanism like a Balanced, We are going to try high copper brass mix for warmth and as little post rib as possible for resonance, I'm working on the neck as well. It will have White Roo pads with domed metal boosters, blue steel springs and white pearls. We purchased a great 26,000 Ba and have been useing this horn to compare sound and specs and use as the example to copy. Its our plan to copy the older portrait engraving bell and bow and recreate asthetics of the origional and leave out any cheese . This is a slow process but hopfully the first horn will arrive in november. It will still have the modern feel with the right hand turned out but we hope it will end up with the vintage vibe and be an inspirational horn to play. I welcome any friendly comments or advice. Thanks Rich Maraday

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Early BAs had in line tone holes like a Conns Kings Martins Beuschers..... SBAs MKVIs Modern horns in general have the right hand turned out for comfort.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,949 Posts
Early BAs had in line tone holes like a Conns Kings Martins Beuschers..... SBAs MKVIs Modern horns in general have the right hand turned out for comfort.
I find those early horns quite comfortable too.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Do you have an idea of the price range on this horn and the low Bb bari you posted about a few months back?

Many Thanks.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Legend Series Bari in Dark laquer m58 is $3400.00 The Legend Series m58 tenors $1900.00 The Acoustic Balance m40 will be around $2600.00. It will be a little more money with all the work going in to new parts being made for this horn and the roo pads .

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Viking Instruments will be taking pre pay pre orders on legend Series Acoustic Balance M40 tenors for delivery late December. Holiday orders. If you want to take a chance and get the first ones call me and we can pre order UL or Cognac gold $2650.00. We also added New model Tenor Legend Series M85 with F# and higher copper for a warmer big MVI sound with white pearls MK VI engraving $2250.00. M85 Alto will be available as well with F# and higher copper $1800.00. Legend Series M58s are available right now in Cognac gold ,Silver plate,Antique brush and one demo Gold Plate.$1900.00 .SBA vibe with thinner walled brass high copper.

Viking is trying to offer 3 different vintage sounding Legend Series models

*Tenor M40 Acoustic Balance clear/warm sound, moaning ,with core....

*Tenor M58 SBA/Very Early MK VI clear tone with lots of color, core and projection.. Play anything you want ....

*Tenor M85 Middle Vintage MK VI FAT Loud with Warm Projection and core . Push it! Fun.....

Great gig horns when you want to leave your vintage horn investment home and still be inspired....

845-361-9353 [email protected]

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,323 Posts
Hi Rich -- Is there a M40 Alto in the works too? Will there be a no F# option on the altos?

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,504 Posts
Rich I saw the pics on Facebook and they look incredible!! You really deserve a standing ovation on the engraving alone.

B

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
4,370 Posts
Brian- I looked on facebook under Viking Instruments and Rich Maraday and didn't see any pics. On the regular Viking website I don't see any M40 pics either. What am I doing wrong?

1 - 20 of 213 Posts