Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Researcher, Teacher and Horn Revitalizer, Forum Co
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would mention this as I just did this mod on my VII tenor.

We all know the large table keys on the VII are also somewhat spread out. If you look at the back side you will see the G# has a lip that protrudes to the C# key.

The C# is supported to the rods by a post which happens to be located right in the middle of the touch platform.

I filed down that G# lip a couple mms. This allow me to bend the rod arm to the C# key up closer to the G# by several mms.

It also allowed me to (strategically bend the post arm) of the low Bb to accomodate the angle change of the C# (and the tiling spatula pin mechanism). And a slight adjustment of the B for Bb clearance.

This essentially brought my Bb up higher a couple of milimeters and made it much more comfortable to play.

If interested, I don't have pics of before, but I have pics of after. It certainly is more comfortable playing the Bb now consistently - no slight downward hand movement like i had before to allow my pinky to get proper leverage.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008
4,046 Posts
I'll like to see your photos. I have a VII tenor that I love. I don't know if I'd mod it, but it would be cool to see yours.

[email protected]

or PM the address.

Thanks.

·
Researcher, Teacher and Horn Revitalizer, Forum Co
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tightened it a bit more together but have to sand down the pin receiver a bit as the C# snags it slightly and makes the B-Bb move slightly - creating a bit of drag on C#. But this is what it looks like.
[1] Tab before any work
[2] Tab shortened
[3] table after
[4] old pic of before

1 - 4 of 4 Posts