Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2015-2016
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjwBehGK4UI

we did this live with our backing tracks . Im making a sampler to promote our duo and will use snippets from a bunch of tunes we recorded the same day. I just used a yamaha mixer and share microphone but I thought the sound was ok . comments welcomed . thanks jd

·
Registered
166 Posts
JD
Very cool playing in time, you are moving freely, also the keyboarder does very well (very freely and beautifully pulsates), together you create an interesting, rich texture, own sound and duo-funky-ballad-style.
JD, I wonder what reeds you use (on tenor and alto) to achieve such a sound. I hear from your recordings that you have similar (to me), probably a consciously worked out sound - both on the tenor and on alto. So, I asked you about reeds to find out how much you owe it to your own embouchure or how much the setup (reeds, mouthpieces) determines your (nice) sound.
Anyway, thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
Alto sax, Tenor sax, Clarinet
1,306 Posts
Awesome! Very smooth and comfortable, and really enjoyable to listen to. :salute:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,160 Posts
Nice! Thanks for sharing. Quick question: How are you mixing this to video? Can you message me your gear. Tony

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2015-2016
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks to all that took the time to listen and for all the kind words. Nef you are right the sax was not as present in the mix . it wasn't a "studio" recording even though I do have the gear for that. Ill try that next time. good ear. Key pi I use fibracell reeds. I like soft reeds and usually use dukoffs and yamaha 62 horns.Tony this was my first stab at making a video. I just used my MacBook pro camera and a cheap yamaha mixer and a shure 57mic then used iMovie in my mac to "edit" a little bit.I have know idea what the heck I'm doing with video but Im going to learn iMovie. it seems pretty simple. I do have real studio gear and next time Ill try to use the good stuff. universal audio neumam u87 mic and akg 414 logic pro x but I was just trying to do a quick video to see if it would work.on this video I tried my luck at editing .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HkrLezT5mY
Ill keep working at it lol....

·
Forum Contributor 2013-2019
1,010 Posts
Sweet sound! Your set up is the standard lounge "band" we have down here on the island - usually two or three musicians (some combination of sax, keys, percussion, bass and/or vocalist) playing to backing tracks. Seems like every bar and hotel has one. I've been playing with a vocalist and/or keys at some of the hotel lounges when I'm down here in the winter. You guys could hang with any of the bands here - no problem. So think about a working vacation :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts