Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
27,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I made a post yesterday about this, but it didn't stick, so to speak. But am wondering where in the settings is an option to view youtube videos when embedded in a post. I used to be able to see them, but now see a black screen where the video window shows.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,136 Posts
Things change without any notice on this forum these days (we only find out about changes when it disrupts what we are now accustomed to be the “ normality” around here :soapbox:) and appear to a have a “ localized “ character because sometimes I experience completely local things as others seem to.

So, I am going to give it a go an post a video on you tube here. Mind you sometimes you tube censors things somewhere because there are copyright issues that don’t apply everywhere.

Now I see the video and so should you, if you don’t there has to be some localized problem.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
If all else fails, hit the Reply With Quote button. This will display the video link as text. You can copy the link address from https://... to just before the ampersand [&], then paste it into a new browser tab. Voila! You can watch the video.

·
27,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Now I see the video and so should you, if you don’t there has to be some localized problem.
Nope. Just a black box shows up. However, when I'm not logged in I can see them. So it has to be an option I checked or unchecked at some point, or I am otherwise blocked from seeing them when logged in.

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,480 Posts
Thought I made a post yesterday about this, but it didn't stick, so to speak. But am wondering where in the settings is an option to view youtube videos when embedded in a post. I used to be able to see them, but now see a black screen where the video window shows.
Grumps, are you using Microsoft Internet Explorer 10 as browser?

Since some months embedded YouTube video's don't show anymore in this browser. I reported that to VSadmin, but they said they can't change that. The issues doesn't occur with other browsers (Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome, ...).

·
Administrator
1,508 Posts
Tweaked the code a bit. Hows this?

Video BB code test:

If you're using IE10 as mrpeebee suggested, you should upgrade to IE11 as 10 is very out of date.

What browser/OS/device are you using?

- JB

·
27,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nope. Black screen. Appreciate the help though.

It isn't a problem with my browser, as I just logged off, came back to the page and was able to see the videos within the frame. I logged in to reply, and they went black again.

So not a browser issue. Must have something to do with either user enabled options or site permissions.

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,480 Posts

Video BB code test:

If you're using IE10 as mrpeebee suggested, you should upgrade to IE11 as 10 is very out of date.

What browser/OS/device are you using?

- JB
JB, IE11 doesn't solve this, I just test on my laptop and the video doesn't show in IE11 (when loggod in).

Please check this further.

Nope. Black screen. Appreciate the help though.

It isn't a problem with my browser, as I just logged off, came back to the page and was able to see the videos within the frame. I logged in to reply, and they went black again.

So not a browser issue. Must have something to do with either user enabled options or site permissions.
I just tested this by loggin out in IE11 and after that the video shows, so Grumps has a point.

But with Chrome it always shows (logged in or out), so it's still a browser related issue.

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,480 Posts

seems more like an IE issue with embed videos. specifically youtube maybe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXxmTJ6mtig
the tips show in this video, does it work?

Lee
Why would embedding work when not logged in and not work when logged in with the same IE browser?

Besides that, it always worked before you guys started hosting the forum.

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
29,990 Posts
Why would embedding work when not logged in and not work when logged in with the same IE browser?

Besides that, it always worked before you guys started hosting the forum.
The video you are quoting is using the old (deprecated) embed bbcode which we discussed a couple of years ago. We already know it doesn't work with some browsers and OS's.

·
27,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's the crux right there, and why I suspect it's a permission issue or somehow the option to view videos in user settings has disappeared or can't be reset.

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,480 Posts
The video you are quoting is using the old (deprecated) embed bbcode which we discussed a couple of years ago. We already know it doesn't work with some borders and OS's.
Don't think so, I'm referring to the video posted by Milandro in post #2 of this thread 6 days ago.

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
29,990 Posts
Don't think so, I'm referring to the video posted by Milandro in post #2 of this thread 6 days ago.
I’m talking about the video in post #11

It is embedded with the old YouTube bbcode which we know doesn’t work on various systems and is not responsive on mobiles.

Thus was discussed a while back and so that embed icon was removed from the editor

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,480 Posts
I think this has been solved some time ago (without having seen a notification from VS admin that they changed something).

I can now (again) see all embedded video's using IE, logged in or out.

Guess it's fine for the others too (please confirm).

I did change the thread title prefix to FIXED.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts