Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Alto - Series II, Tenor - Reference 54
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I meant to put this here earlier but it slipped my mind. Anyways, I released this video about a week ago on my channel, comparing the Series II and the Supreme. I know a lot of people play the Series II and may be curious just how different the Supreme is...this video takes a deep dive into that, talking about key work, tone, and intonation especially. Hope you enjoy, and feel free to subscribe as I'll be releasing other content fairly regularly.

Thanks!

-Reese

In-Depth Comparison: Selmer Supreme vs. Series II

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Great video. As said above, a different and interesting personal perspective compared to other usual reviews.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Great job. Very informative. Thanks for taking the time to cover all the little ergo details.

You talked in the video about different side keys designs. I think the most extreme you'll find is the vintage Martin Typewriter. It looks cool, but I would find it impossible to use. My hands need big targets for those keys. I would probably like the Supreme design with the lower Bb. Even though I have big hands, I do occasionally open side keys and even palm keys accidentally due to my grip. It's a major problem, in fact, on my bass sax. The instrument is so big, there is no room for error, even for big hands. So for me, the lower the better.

I never have and probably never will shell out the bucks for a brand new horn. But I do like to follow the latest innovations. Even though the sax has been around 175 years, the variations in the palm, side, F#(s), spatula, octave and bis keys seem to be endless. It's always a challenge when I put down my 100 year old Conn and pick up my contemporary Yamaha.

I guess what I'd like to see rather than changing key sizes/positions by a couple of millimeters is some real innovation in the actual mechanics, sound and materials. Or was sax so ahead of his time that there is nothing that can be improved upon.

The real innovations are coming from Jim Schmidt, Eppelsheim and others, not the major brands. I thought this low A on the new Wilmington bari was a significant innovation:

Sorry I'm rambling.

Thanks again for the video.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,317 Posts
Very Well Done! I actually preferred the Series II listening on my iPhone.

·
Forum Contributor 2014-2015
1,100 Posts
Hello all,

I meant to put this here earlier but it slipped my mind. Anyways, I released this video about a week ago on my channel, comparing the Series II and the Supreme. I know a lot of people play the Series II and may be curious just how different the Supreme is...this video takes a deep dive into that, talking about key work, tone, and intonation especially. Hope you enjoy, and feel free to subscribe as I'll be releasing other content fairly regularly.

Thanks!

-Reese

In-Depth Comparison: Selmer Supreme vs. Series II
Great video-great review! You sound nice on both horns, but my old ears prefer the Serie II-so much more clarity, IMO. This has been my problem since day one with the Supreme. I want to like it so much, but I just don't seem to prefer it. Good luck with it-you'll do well with either horn.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts