Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I recently bought a tenor! A The Martin - and I bought an Otto Link New Vintage Tonemaster 7 with it. I love it's sound but the projection to the player (so, to me when not directly playing against a reflecting wall) was not too good. So I borought a Jody Jazz DV NY 7 to compare it. Result: projection is not better. Coming from an alto, I maybe have to get used to different physics on the tenor and less projection and direct sound to the player. Here's the comparison video:

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,802 Posts
I like the link much better. It has a depth and character in the sound that the DV lacks. The DV sounds cleaner but the link has more meat in the tone. As far as projection...........It might sound crazy but I have had mouthpieces like that before and I have found that taking the patch off of the piece lets me feel and hear the sound better. You could tyry that and see if it makes a difference. What size reed are you using?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, what do you mean by "patch" (my English, sorry ...) - the piece of rubber where I put my teeth? I could try that. Maybe the resonation of the mpc projects directly to the jaw bone/head ... I'm using Vandoren Java 3

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
The NV Tonemaster. Nice meaty tone.

The Vandoren Java Red reeds I tried lacked body in the tone to me.
Maybe you should also try the Green java and the traditional Blue reeds.
It made a huge difference to me.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,878 Posts
+1 for the Tone Master. The DV sounds so much harsher!
By the way, if you're not getting enough projection with the DV, then it's probably you, not the mpcs. Give yourself some time, you'll adjust.

·
Registered
8,980 Posts
I initially liked the DV better but by the end of the video I could not tell a difference. Then I ran it again and could not hear a significant diference. Try minimizing the window after pressing "play".

If you took the labels off the video and numbered each clip and mixed them up, I do not think listeners would be able to consistently tell the difference.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008
1,555 Posts
I do not know why these New Link Tonemasters are not getting more recognition on this forum.
Mine, although improved by Phil Engleman, is an exceptionally good mouthpiece, easy to play and with a great sound on all my tenors.
A friend of mine has an original Tonemaster and he asked me if I were interested to trade and add cash, but I would not have accepted even a straight trade.

I think those pieces are still underappreciated.
Conversely, I did not manage to like a tiny bit the 2 DV NY I used to own: resold immediately with no regrets. I though the older ESP was actually a much better mouthpiece...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Since they sound so close, which is easier to play? I have a dv and have tried a tone master. The dv is easy and fun to play where the tone master felt like I was blowing against a brick wall. They were both 7 tips with the same reed.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Hi,
I recently bought a tenor! A The Martin - and I bought an Otto Link New Vintage Tonemaster 7 with it. I love it's sound but the projection to the player (so, to me when not directly playing against a reflecting wall) was not too good. So I borought a Jody Jazz DV NY 7 to compare it. Result: projection is not better. Coming from an alto, I maybe have to get used to different physics on the tenor and less projection and direct sound to the player. Here's the comparison video:
First I like those exercises you played. I like your concept. Good sound.

There are a couple of things you need to ask yourself.

The first is the most important. Which mouthpiece do you prefer? You will be the one playing not us.

The second is how will the mouthpiece sound with an ensemble?

I play the regular DV so obviously my view can be biased.

Now one would think that the comparison you made was as fair as possible.

That couldn't be further from reality.

The reason I say this is I have played the DV for three years and probably know more about it than many on here.

They know zero about it because they hate it. Which means they haven't played it enough to understand it.

I hated it too when I first tried it. It really takes time and patience to learn it. That's why I say most don't know it.

They may have tried it for a day or 2 weeks. I've played it for 3 years. I know it. They don't.

That and the fact that there is some kind of insidious movement to darkness now when it comes to sax concepts.

I don't know how it started but let's not dwell on that. They'll be coming after me anyway because I've said too much.

Anyway having said all that the solution is simple.

As I said I have the regular DV and like you gravitated to the Java red box.

This is the key. Reed selection.

The reed that worked so well on the Link may not be the right one for the Jody at all.

I had the perfect reed for the last 3 months and it finally split. I opened up a new box of 2 1/2 's and they all play like 3's.

Now ironically I sold a new box of 2's to a player Sunday with the condition that he tries one reed and if that one is too hard I'll buy the box back. I hope he doesn't like them.

I had other reeds and practice reeds that were stiffer while I had that perfect one so I know my chops didn't go down.

Anyway you didn't give a most important factor. What size reed did you use.

Now I used to play 4's with a Berg 130/3 offset M ( denim table ) for years so I know how reed sizes should feel .

Back to the point. I can take a number 2 reed and make that DV sound like a Florida Link because I know how to play it. They don't.

They ( DV haters ) approach the DV like they do any other mouthpiece and I did the same coming from that Berg. Which I got rid of ( shout out to Uncle Phil ).

There were other mouthpieces in the mean time too. A hard rubber Jody Jazz and an ESP. A Vandoren V16 and an Otto Link STM 8 which I sold to the notorious Manny. Another misunderstood Los Angeles resident.

The player must adjust to the mouthpiece. The mouthpiece will never adjust to the player.

What I've learned about the DV is it's all about the reed. With the right reed I can make it sound like a Link.

With the wrong reed it'll sound like a chain saw. Out of a box you may get only one or two that'll be that perfect reed. But man when you get it! You may have to look in another box.

Flexible enough to shape the sound to both ends of the spectrum.

So yes the DV will play any reed but play very few well.

Oh they are gonna come on here with their torches and pitchforks but I don't care.

Jazz is about innovation. They are about status quo.

Jazz is the music of freedom. The jazz musician is the freest cat on the planet.

And you my friend have the potential to be a great one. Be true to yourself . Please yourself.

Don't worry about what we think.

Oh and as for the Link try going down a half size in reeds and see how that projects.

And what MojoBari said is true. Remember they hate the DVNY. Their view is slanted.

Neither of those mouthpieces you have can project like a DV.

It's not about a bright sound or dark sound it's about a full sound.

Which can be attained on either mouthpiece .

With the right reed!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,160 Posts
I like the DV

·
Registered
240 Posts
I am voting for the Link - but the difference is not huge and it just might be a question of the reed and some practice to make them sound even more alike.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008
1,555 Posts
Since they sound so close, which is easier to play? I have a dv and have tried a tone master. The dv is easy and fun to play where the tone master felt like I was blowing against a brick wall. They were both 7 tips with the same reed.
I suspect your Link was a dud. Since those are not so hard to find in a local store, it is highly advisable to give some a play-test.
The JJ do not suffer of quality problems (at least the metal ones). But as you see, they also cost twice as much and if you resell it is hard to get more than half of what you pay. That is unlikely to happen with any Link.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
I prefered the Link. The DV sounded harsher and thinner to me.
You're correct because he was using the wrong reed with the DVNY.

The reed for the Link may not work for the Dv.

It's very very reed picky.

I know I've been playing the regular DV for 3 years.

With the right reed it doesn't sound like that.

Now of course that's true with any mouthpiece but especially true with the DV or DVNY.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts