Sax on the Web Forum banner

141 - 160 of 443 Posts

·
Banned
28,511 Posts
Milandro, I'm in Barcelona and it seems that the minimum postage for getting anything domestically within Spain or inter-EU from Thoemann, from Saxofonwinkle (sp?) or from France is 17-19€ even when it is only a small accessory. I wanted to get some books from a place in the UK but was turned off because the fee was the same figure but in Pounds, which of course always come at a premium to the euro. This, in addition to the already overinflated prices of items viz-a-viz the USA has deterred me most of the time. The sax mute and a case for my soprano are the only things that were more cost effective to buy online here in Europe.

The shipping charges from Thailand were, in fact, very mild indeed!
If that's the case, then there is no reason for them not to beef up the packing considerably. Although I'm not in the market for one of these at the moment, if I was I certainly wouldn't buy one as things stand because life is full of enough headaches as is without adding a damaged new sax to the picture.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,780 Posts
the postal shipping charges were mild while the courier was hefty, I chose for post delivery

·
40,780 Posts
this thread has gone very quiet indeed

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
2,547 Posts
What concerns me most about the current situation is that the feedback posted thus far is of the type I would have expected to have seen at the prototype stage.
There's always something that can be improved with almost any finished product - whether it be a design feature or simply quality control. In this case it looks like rather more fundamental issues need addressing.

It's one thing to send out samples to be tested by a selected set of consumers and experts, but quite another to do so in the marketplace...and at a price.

Regards,

·
Administrator
13,995 Posts
I have to agree with Stephen's observations, and have thought the same as this progresses. Not a wholesale condemnation by any means, but something definitely worth discussing.

·
40,780 Posts
well, in all honesty I have to say that this first run of the vibratosax , or at least the one that I have in my possession, doesn't feel like it is the end product but it definitely feels like it is an advanced prototype which is undergoing the scrutiny of a test panel

·
Registered
14 Posts
What concerns me most about the current situation is that the feedback posted thus far is of the type I would have expected to have seen at the prototype stage.
There's always something that can be improved with almost any finished product - whether it be a design feature or simply quality control. In this case it looks like rather more fundamental issues need addressing.

It's one thing to send out samples to be tested by a selected set of consumers and experts, but quite another to do so in the marketplace...and at a price.

Regards,
That's the norm these days in software, especially computer games. But those can be fixed with a downloadable patch. Developers are often on such a tight budget they have to start selling it to get the money to finish it.

·
2,547 Posts
That's the norm these days in software, especially computer games. But those can be fixed with a downloadable patch. Developers are often on such a tight budget they have to start selling it to get the money to finish it.
That's kind of understandable, given the almost infinite configurations of machines/OS the software might have to contend with.
I've been doing some testing of remote camera software - it was given to me freely on the basis that I spend the time testing it with my personal setup and report back with logs and OS error messages.
That's fair enough - the process of upgrading and bug fixing can be done remotely...which isn't something you can do with a horn.

Regards,

·
2,547 Posts
One of the problem is to get the sax to it's destination with the same condition as we tested.
That's a problem every manufacturer has to contend with - and in the vast majority of cases ( excuse pun ) there are no problems.
If the product is expecially vulnerable to knocks then it will need a bespoke packaging solution - at which point it's handed over to a couple of burly lads in the warehouse who are asked to kick it around for a couple of hours.

Most people will have had experience of mail ordering fragile items ( cameras, hard drives, clocks, glassware, chinaware etc. ), and the expectation is that it will arrive in sound condition...the manufacturers having worked out the best method of protecting the item during transportation.

Regards,

·
Registered
178 Posts
We have started our little first step toward our goal of making this A1, we will give 144 A1 to 12 schools in Thailand ( most of them didn't have enough budget to buy a saxophone ). Each school we be received 12 A1 which will be divided in to 2 groups boys & girls. We will also provide them 2 set of notes which will be our H.M. The King's composition. After some months we will then organize a contest for them. I would like to thanks all the friends who has bough our A1&A1S without you we can not make this happened.

·
40,780 Posts
........ I would like to thanks all the friends who has bough our A1&A1S without you we can not make this happened.
Very well, at least I know that my money has been serving some , in principle, noble purpose and I think that this 144 horns which have been (donated?) to these schools will be tested in a way that should probably have been part of the R&D of this saxophone and could have offered, prior to the selling of the saxophones, some insight on the why's and how's this first batch failed to meet the expectations which had been building for 3 long years.

I am still awaiting for comments by the other people who purchased these instruments since , as far as I know, no one has received a saxophone that played out of the box and are now in possession of a decorative saxophone simulacrum which isn't playing.

In fact I would like to know what, besides keeping this a collector's item and a conversation piece, are we supposed to do with it and which , if any, solutions to this problem are being offered.

·
TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
5,954 Posts
I'm surprised this hasn't been posted yet (at least as far as I saw). The fact that these horns seem to be taking a beating during shipment can easily be fixed. In fact, there are some great instructions to be found on cybersax:

http://cybersax.com/packsax.html

Although it seems a little overkill in some spots, that would be a guaranteed shipment method to follow, and I believe, since the company is taking advice from us on lots of other aspects of these horns, they could take some advice from us on shipping as well.

·
40,780 Posts
I honestly don't think that the majority of the problems with this horn are shipment related

·
TOTM administrator
5,954 Posts
I honestly don't think that the majority of the problems with this horn are shipment related
The pad's and their functionality are questionable at best IMO, but things such as the bent rods you mentioned and some of the keys not functioning properly are most likely caused by shipment damage.

·
40,780 Posts
there are more fundamental problems than even that

·
TOTM administrator
5,954 Posts
there are more fundamental problems than even that
Ah, Well then it would seem that there is a need for some revising on the other end...

141 - 160 of 443 Posts