Sax on the Web Forum banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I do find new stuff on line to add to this thread, it is really incredible the fantasy which people use to push stuff that makes them more than a few bobs .

Of course, more mass (without an ounce of published research) is the word. Right?

Annoucing the " "SOUND ZENTRIC" Heavy Mass Sound Stabilizer for Saxophone | Brass"
I have no idea how this thing is supposed to work ( and it may very well be that they will have a silver and gold version) but at ONLY $125 you may want to add this piece of metal to ypour sax, right?

Whatever and however it does what is supposed to do, which we don't know, why would you not achieve the same thing with a lump of brass bought at a plumber's shop, I don't know.

It stabilizes the " unstable " sound of a saxophone, as we all know.

;):unsure:

SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
Yeah milandro, that "Sound Zentric" thing should get the klangbogus award of the month!

The world is full of suckers and the charlatans willing and ready to take advantage of them...

Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Even assuming that it works

I really don't understand what this would have over a cabinet knob ( I know..) made of brass costing a couple of $,

SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
Even assuming that it works

I really don't understand what this would have over a cabinet knob ( I know..) made of brass costing a couple of $,

View attachment 102246
Good point! I felt the same way about the weighted 'buzz screw'. So, just for fun, I tried adding a screw with a heavy bolt to my lyre holder and of course it did nothing to change the sound or tone quality.

Registered
Whatever and however it does what is supposed to do, which we don't know, why would you not achieve the same thing with a lump of brass bought at a plumber's shop, I don't know.
The way objects like this gain followers isn't by altering or "correcting" the sound of the instrument, it's by altering how the player thinks. That is, certain people think they play better only because they have faith in the bogus device.

This is why all the arguments based on acoustical science don't work. They have faith in the object because they want that object to work.

As to why just any old lump of metal won't suffice, I'll refer our esteemed readership to a passage from Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance where one of the characters is unable to accept that a crushed piece of tin from a beer can is an acceptable shim - the character expected and sought an officially approved BMW part.

Discussion Starter · #48 ·
especially lately, if adding mass would make me feel like playing better I鈥檇 need a couple of tons of brass

Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I couldn't help noticing these home made " mass augmentations " , I can't say for sure that the player intends to make fun of us or maybe want things to rattle while he plays but there is a very good chance these are meant seriously.

IF that is the case, please, just grab anything at hand in the shed and hang it on your horn.

Discussion Starter · #51 ·
well, the player in question practices enough, albeit in his own way

Discussion Starter · #53 ·
It had a microtuner, that鈥檚 why it was heavy and if anything the microtuner absorbed vibrations since it is mane of many turning separate parts, by the way at some point 6M for the British market, contemporary to the ones made with a microtuner in the US had no microtuner

Registered
It had a microtuner, that's why it was heavy and if anything the microtuner absorbed vibrations since it is mane of many turning separate parts, by the way at some point 6M for the British market, contemporary to the ones made with a microtuner in the US had no microtuner
Yes and the double socket added a bunch of weight also.

Distinguished SOTW Member
selmer 26 nino, 22 curved sop, super alto, King Super 20 and Martin tenors, Stowasser tartogatos

Discussion Starter · #56 · (Edited)
a couple of decades ?

I鈥檝e recently sold a 1950 6M with a microtuner. I doubt its function or intention was adding mass though because a blob of metal would have been cheaper to make and less than a hassle to maintain, nice though it is, it was a solution to a problem that didn鈥檛 really exists (as witnessed any all the other brands which never burnt theirselves with microtuners).

Reactions: kymarto

Discussion Starter · #57 ·
while surfing the net I came upon a few objects which would make a great addition to the vibrationalist implements.

If only I wasn't so opposed to the idea I may have a career there! ;):LOL:

41 - 60 of 60 Posts