Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
I came back to SOTW after a long "sabbatical" and was pleased to find that the number of members arguing that the finish of an instrument makes a difference in the sound had gone down considerably. That includes those who think adding weight or mass to the outside changes the sound as well. I give much of the credit to members like Kymarto and Milandro for this increased "enlightenment" to the acoustical principles that actually govern the sound over the repeated "mythology", by repeating the principles of science again and again each time the topic comes up.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,671 Posts
From listening to people’s recordings, most need to spend a little more time learning how to actually play and less time trying to find a magical cure for their sound. Take the money you would have spent on some gadget and instead buy a key to open the shed.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I regularly scan the net to find new vibrationalist accessories and I came across this " mute" ring which is also described as a bell rim protector (That I believe) .

You really need to believe the bell does a lot of things to the saxophone sound (it doesn't) to accept the idea that any rubber or silicone ring would do anything to mute the saxophone sound.
Try putting your hand or ask someone to help you, just touching the rim of the bell and you will see the sound doesn't change at all.

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,102 Posts
There was a saxophone a few years back, I think it was the "Emilio Supreme" that had a bell with no rolled rim. The concept behind that was that cymbals do not have a rim, so somebody therefore assumed a saxophone bell would be better without. (For the same reaosn it had no lacquer but let's not go there again)

·
41,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
of course, except they would have had only a series of “ thud” or click clock sounds hitting the “ bell” with a mallet...

This analogy , cultivated by vibrationalsts, of the saxophone being able to produce a metal sound by “ vibrating ‘ (with all its lose parts, the hands and mouth absorbing any passive vibrations, let alone the body if you play it on the side) is so preposterous , yet, lives on, because of the material it is made of ( metal must “ resonate” right?) and the words we used ( a bell is a bell is a bell)

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,102 Posts
of course, except they would have had only a series of " thud" or click clock sounds hitting the " bell" with a mallet...
This was on their marketing:

"A completely Raw Brass Body and Crook with Random Mass throughout (like a church bell) so it rings so true. No bell rim for impressive sound projection (ever seen a cymbal with a rim?). Parts that are not acoustic-related are highly polished and two-part epoxy lacquered; this is our Raw Brass "Supreme" Alto, Tenor and Baritone Saxes."

·
41,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·

·
Registered
6,828 Posts
Well, the rod inside the bore should have some effect on tone. Not anything like the effect it'll have on intonation, though!

·
41,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
Well, the rod inside the bore should have some effect on tone. Not anything like the effect it'll have on intonation, though!
I must have failed to explain, the rod is only to place the cone into the tenon then you take that out

The magic device it the cone ( this is the opposite of the mouthpiece enhancer which goes in the other hand )

·
Registered
6,828 Posts
Oh, OK, but making a restriction in the bore only for a few mm length at the location of the tenon can still be expected to affect intonation.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,756 Posts
Stuff a black sock in it for a darker sound.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Stuff a black sock in it for a darker sound.
Or a yellow sock for a brighter sound?
What kind of a sound would you get with a red sock? Or a green one?
I guess a blue one would be the right kind for playing the blues.....

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
3,261 Posts
The woodenthingy looks to be quite well made. The annoying thing about these devices is how much time they waste. We have wasted far too much time trying to explain why they won't do what they are supposed to do. The people making them waste far too much time when the manufacturing methods are as elaborate as the woodenthingy. People are always looking for simple answers - a simple fix to improve your sound. If only life was so simple.
The thing shoved inside the neck should make some difference as it is altering the bore. It's hard to tell from the videos as the microphone angle is so different. I couldn't even listen to the second one as it was blasting so loud. Sounded bloody awful. If you like that kind of thing I'm not sure even magic can help.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,688 Posts
Ok, this is at least telling you straight what it is: It's called a Saxophone MAGIC device , so don't look for science, it is just MAGIC
Well milandro, I think it's safe to say that calling it magic along with terms like 'sound enhancement', etc, is all it takes to sell such devices to a significant percentage of the population. There is no need to even mention science. In fact given the anti-science sentiment that seems so prevalent these days, the snake-oil salesmen would do better not mentioning science at all. The 'true believer' will believe if told what they want to hear. No evidence or scientific data required.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.