Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
42,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Years ago, the famous and much missed Tobias came up with his P Ligging , which consisted of a leather strap tightly tied around the neck of a saxophone. His claim was that it changed (for the better, remember these things only ever change things positively) the sound of the saxophone, his main virtue was that it costed NOTHING at all, so when NOTHING was achieved with it, you had a cool decorative item but at no cost.

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?92953-P-Ligging-a-little-help-to-pimp-your-sound

This appears to be the wooden P Ligging version , of course you wrap around a piece of wood on the outside of the flute and it woodifies the sound (as one does), no?

Now this thing looks suspiciously like a ligature, so you may try with a ligature ?

And if you wrap around a piece of leather you leatherify the sound? :Rant::soapbox:

Only €65 :whistle:

·
42,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I intend to publish here a list of all the vibrationalist implements as I come across them, for posterity, you surely wouldn't want all this knowledge to be lost just because we went for 150 years without them and then they all started to appear like mushrooms to then disappear again?

It took 150 years for some genius to " discover" that adding stuff ( mostly at a cost) would be such a profitable (acoustically ) gain?

anyway it is not only saxophone and flute players who are at it.

See this proposed " quasi home made tone boosting" which promises you to reach the Nirvana for Bass CLarinet players if you only use 3 saxophone ligatures (to do what?) on ypour bass clarinet

·
42,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
one of the typical and common trait to all of these things is the attempt to cover all of these of “ scientific” allure

·
42,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have to say that many people involved into these things show a true belief ( operative word) in these implements and therefore seek no proof either way by means of experiments.

·
42,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
...or funds, coupled to the unwillingness to put their beliefs to the test

·
42,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don't see why one would't be able to use a Olegature but the point is that there would be no point

·
42,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I regularly scan the net to find new vibrationalist accessories and I came across this " mute" ring which is also described as a bell rim protector (That I believe) .

You really need to believe the bell does a lot of things to the saxophone sound (it doesn't) to accept the idea that any rubber or silicone ring would do anything to mute the saxophone sound.
Try putting your hand or ask someone to help you, just touching the rim of the bell and you will see the sound doesn't change at all.

·
42,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
of course, except they would have had only a series of “ thud” or click clock sounds hitting the “ bell” with a mallet...

This analogy , cultivated by vibrationalsts, of the saxophone being able to produce a metal sound by “ vibrating ‘ (with all its lose parts, the hands and mouth absorbing any passive vibrations, let alone the body if you play it on the side) is so preposterous , yet, lives on, because of the material it is made of ( metal must “ resonate” right?) and the words we used ( a bell is a bell is a bell)

·
42,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·

·
42,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
Well, the rod inside the bore should have some effect on tone. Not anything like the effect it'll have on intonation, though!
I must have failed to explain, the rod is only to place the cone into the tenon then you take that out

The magic device it the cone ( this is the opposite of the mouthpiece enhancer which goes in the other hand )

·
42,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I do find new stuff on line to add to this thread, it is really incredible the fantasy which people use to push stuff that makes them more than a few bobs .

Of course, more mass (without an ounce of published research) is the word. Right?

Annoucing the " "SOUND ZENTRIC" Heavy Mass Sound Stabilizer for Saxophone | Brass"
I have no idea how this thing is supposed to work ( and it may very well be that they will have a silver and gold version) but at ONLY $125 you may want to add this piece of metal to ypour sax, right?

Whatever and however it does what is supposed to do, which we don't know, why would you not achieve the same thing with a lump of brass bought at a plumber's shop, I don't know.

It stabilizes the " unstable " sound of a saxophone, as we all know.

;):unsure:

·
42,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Even assuming that it works

I really don't understand what this would have over a cabinet knob ( I know..) made of brass costing a couple of $,

·
42,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
especially lately, if adding mass would make me feel like playing better I’d need a couple of tons of brass

·
42,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I couldn't help noticing these home made " mass augmentations " , I can't say for sure that the player intends to make fun of us or maybe want things to rattle while he plays but there is a very good chance these are meant seriously.

IF that is the case, please, just grab anything at hand in the shed and hang it on your horn.

·
42,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
well, the player in question practices enough, albeit in his own way

·
42,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
It had a microtuner, that’s why it was heavy and if anything the microtuner absorbed vibrations since it is mane of many turning separate parts, by the way at some point 6M for the British market, contemporary to the ones made with a microtuner in the US had no microtuner

·
42,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 · (Edited)
a couple of decades ?

I’ve recently sold a 1950 6M with a microtuner. I doubt its function or intention was adding mass though because a blob of metal would have been cheaper to make and less than a hassle to maintain, nice though it is, it was a solution to a problem that didn’t really exists (as witnessed any all the other brands which never burnt theirselves with microtuners).

·
42,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
while surfing the net I came upon a few objects which would make a great addition to the vibrationalist implements.

If only I wasn't so opposed to the idea I may have a career there! ;):LOL:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts