Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Years ago, the famous and much missed Tobias came up with his P Ligging , which consisted of a leather strap tightly tied around the neck of a saxophone. His claim was that it changed (for the better, remember these things only ever change things positively) the sound of the saxophone, his main virtue was that it costed NOTHING at all, so when NOTHING was achieved with it, you had a cool decorative item but at no cost.

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?92953-P-Ligging-a-little-help-to-pimp-your-sound

This appears to be the wooden P Ligging version , of course you wrap around a piece of wood on the outside of the flute and it woodifies the sound (as one does), no?

Now this thing looks suspiciously like a ligature, so you may try with a ligature ?

And if you wrap around a piece of leather you leatherify the sound? :Rant::soapbox:

Only €65 :whistle:

·
Registered
810 Posts
Well, if it works in the wearers mind, isn't that all that matters? Mind over matter or something

Also, you get a lighter wallet, so you can play faster runs!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
selmer 26 nino, 22 curved sop, super alto, King Super 20 and Martin tenors, Stowasser tartogatos
3,406 Posts
There's a Sucker Born Every Minute, subtitled: A Fool and His Money are Soon Parted.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,480 Posts
I am fascinated by these doodads -- external to the sonorous tube, and therefore extraneous to sound production.

Then there is the internal function of these devices --- internal to the mind of the player, that is.

This one, as you say, is a "P-Lig -- clamp type" avatar. A rich source of inspiration.

Thank you, Milandro, for pointing it out.

The list of these external doodads is formidable. The ingenuity in placement, attachment, and materials involved in coming up with them is pretty impressive. But the marketing. Oh, yeah, the marketing. That is where the real art is revealed.

I have not seen one yet, but surely some of the attachment screws for the palm keys are due for replacement with the heavy screw/encircling bismuth band - plated with real solid gold! Working the way down the tube --- into uncharted doodad attachment territory, perhaps that is the future of this industry?

How would that work?

That lyre screw is handy (no matter where it is, it just so happens to be placed on a crucial "sound node" that requires support and improvement!) Braising on a bunch more lyre attachments further down the sax is too much trouble. That would never sell. And it is old hat by now.

Got to look for places where a screw is already available on the sax. I predict the palm keys. Perhaps, besides the materials (gold for richness of tone, silver for brightness, wood for woodiness, wool for wooliness), the curved bar hugging the sax body could be shaped like, or inscribed with, the concert pitch?

That's it! The encircling bar, attached to the sax via the palm key screw, could conform to the shape of the sound wave of the concert pitch intended to be produced by that palm key. Very scientific. Like breeds like. An ancient and well established talisman selling point. Don't believe it works? Compare the shape of the thing to the sound produced by that tone hole! Of course it works!

·
41,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I intend to publish here a list of all the vibrationalist implements as I come across them, for posterity, you surely wouldn't want all this knowledge to be lost just because we went for 150 years without them and then they all started to appear like mushrooms to then disappear again?

It took 150 years for some genius to " discover" that adding stuff ( mostly at a cost) would be such a profitable (acoustically ) gain?

anyway it is not only saxophone and flute players who are at it.

See this proposed " quasi home made tone boosting" which promises you to reach the Nirvana for Bass CLarinet players if you only use 3 saxophone ligatures (to do what?) on ypour bass clarinet

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I watched the woodify video. Looks pretty scientific to me. I saw a couple compasses on the workbench and a few scattered Da Vinci-esque sketches. Some CNC machining shows just how cutting edge this really is. Clearly this guy is a renaissance man. I just don't understand why he seems to be struggling to keep from breaking out in laughter throughout his performance and dialogue.

·
5,480 Posts
I intend to publish here a list of all the vibrationalist implemets as I come across them, for posterity, you surely wouldn't want all this knowledge to be lost just because we went for 150 years without them and then they all started to appear like mushrooms to then disappear again?

It took 150 years for some genius to " discover" that adding stuff ( mostly at a cost) would be such a profitable (acoustically ) gain?

anyway it is not only saxophone and flute players who are at it.

See this proposed " quasi home made tone boosting" which promises you to reach the Nirvana for Bass CLarinet players if you only use 3 saxophone ligatures (to do what?) on ypour bass clarinet

Perfect!!

·
Registered
810 Posts
To my knowledge, a double blind test has never been performed with any of these items.

Not surprising, since it's highly unlikely they affect the acoustics in any way.
Double blinded?? I say you are the blind, that refuse to believe in what they are showing!
Would they deceive people for money? Preposterous!
Would they believe something that is not true? Preposterous!

·
41,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have to say that many people involved into these things show a true belief ( operative word) in these implements and therefore seek no proof either way by means of experiments.

·
5,480 Posts
I have to say that many people involved into these things show a true belief ( operative word) in these implements and therefore seek no proof either way by means of experiments.
Those that surprise me are the ones in academia.

Where is their curiosity? Where is their need to publish? Why do they not
settle this when they have the means at hand?

It would have seemed obvious to me that a professor of music would, at a
minimum, know what science says about the workings of a sax. Namely that
the sound is the result of it's internal geometry. Accordingly, once a
professor came to the conclusion that some doodad attached to the outside
of the sonorous tube was making a real and measurable difference, that
such a person would say "By Golly, I have a paper to publish!", and set
the acoustic science world on its ear with the double blind. That would
make a serious splash! Recordings, printouts of the sound waves, objective
measurements, partner up with some physics guy for a co-author.
Independent setting involving psychology, physics, and music departments
-- all the requirements are right there for any university player.

But I have not seen a single instance of this.

As you say, Milandro, belief itself seems enough, even for those attached
to fine universities with excellent physics departments and science labs.

I hesitate to mention the endorsement lists ...

The charitable conclusion is that they just lack curiosity about physics.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Woodify comes in a nice little bag, too bad it didn’t seem to do anything. The one with the BG ligs was interesting, you use the cheap one on the mouthpiece and strap a couple of the expensive ones along the neck. Has anybody come up with a chain mail sock yet? No? Where are my knitting needles.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I expect the gold would give it a richer, warmer sound. You would probably need about half a dozen and have hours of harmless fun adjusting them and convincing yourself that something serious was happening. Of course mine would be seamless which would result in improved overtone enrichment, as well as improved JimD enrichment.

·
Registered
Tenor, alto, Bb Clarinet, Flute
2,605 Posts
Woodify comes in a nice little bag, too bad it didn';t seem to do anything. The one with the BG ligs was interesting, you use the cheap one on the mouthpiece and strap a couple of the expensive ones along the neck. Has anybody come up with a chain mail sock yet? No? Where are my knitting needles.
You could play with chain mail gloves ...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.