Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been playing tenor saxophone for 4 years now. After playing on a standard hard rubber mouthpiece for 2 years I switched to an otto link "super tone master" 8*. I've been playing on this piece for quite a while now but I am beginning to wonder if it is just too open faced for me. I like the way it sounds on everything below high A above the staff. I play on Rico Royal 2.5 reeds. I've tried long tones and examined my embouchure but I just can't get my higher notes to sound clearly. If anyone has any suggestions or comments it would be greatly appreciated!:)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
2,892 Posts
The move from a stock hard rubber mouthpiece, with the average tip opening under .070 inches, to a metal Link 8*, with a tip opening of .115 is way too big a jump. Drop back down to a 6* or so and I bet you'd be amazed at how much easier it would be for you. It takes years to develop a solid embouchure and breath control on the sax; don't make it so hard on yourself by using a mouthpiece that's too open for you.
Do you have a teacher? I can't imagine a that teacher would suggest moving to a Link 8* after two years of playing....I know I wouldn't.......bear in mind that I have nothing against Links or 8*'s. I use pieces in the 8* to 9 range, but I've been playing for a long time.
If you don't have teacher you should consider getting one..........daryl

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your input. I do have a teacher, he seemed very surprised when I first told him I played on an 8* but said that I sounded good on it. I sort of agree because I like my sound (most of the time) but like I said I am troubled by high notes. I think I will test play some mouthpieces around that facing. Thanks again!:)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
3,333 Posts
I went from a 6 to a .133 refaced link. It can be done, but if you have tried it for a while and are not happy there is no harm in backing off, thats why they make these pieces in all those different facings after all. One size does not fit all.

I have been playing larger facings on Alto for a while, so it was not a huge shock, and I hadnt been playing Tenor for long, so was not bound to the past as it were. Having said that, much as the monster link is fun, I think in the long run Ill be getting something a bit smaller for a more controlled concert band sort of sound, the link is great, but its not a jack of all trades.

I have no problems hitting the higher part of the register (with very soft reeds) There are suggestions that modern links dont have the best quality control over the facings, and i have read here that flat spots on the facing curve could result in the sort of problems you are getting. Has your teacher played your piece, and if so can they hit the highs? If not then it might be worth having one of the usual suspects do some work on it to even the facing up?

Otherwise, try a few other pieces and see what rings your bell.

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
napas14 said:
I've been playing tenor saxophone for 4 years now. After playing on a standard hard rubber mouthpiece for 2 years I switched to an otto link "super tone master" 8*. I've been playing on this piece for quite a while now but I am beginning to wonder if it is just too open faced for me. I like the way it sounds on everything below high A above the staff. I play on Rico Royal 2.5 reeds. I've tried long tones and examined my embouchure but I just can't get my higher notes to sound clearly. If anyone has any suggestions or comments it would be greatly appreciated!:)
Go down in reed strength and take more mouthpiece in your mouth. Phil

1 - 5 of 5 Posts