Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

'All About Jazz' just published a very nice interview with our own SOTW member Julian Pressley. The interview was done by Victor L. Schermer and has as title:

"Julian Pressley: From The Duke To Ornette In His Own Way".

Julian is for years a highly appreciated member (>sideC<) here on SOTW and a terrific alto player. Besides that he is very nice person with a great sense of humor. He toured for many years all over the World and performed with a lot of Jazz greats (like for instance Illinois Jacquet, Jimmy Forrest and Odean Pope). I've been lucky to see him life with the Illinois Jacquet Big Band in Hoofddorp (NL) back in 1998 (the last concert of Jacquet in Europe) and still remember a great alto solo he played in a slow Blues called 'Kansas City' (still have a recording of that here at home).

Julian has a lot of great inside stories about what happened during his long career as a professional musician and has the talent to share those memories with a lot of humor and a sharp view. He has enough of those stories to fill an entire book!

Enjoy this great interview!

https://www.allaboutjazz.com/julian...-way-julian-pressley-by-victor-l-schermer.php

(In the bottom of the webpage you can also see some example video's of Julian in the 'About Julian Pressley' section.)

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
170 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up mrpeebee. An excellent interview. Julian Pressley is such a great player, and seems to be such a down to earth, warm person. I first heard of him with Odean Pope's group. Then a few years back I got a copy of his "Steppin' Out" CD. Wow, what an eye opener!

I highly recommend taking the time to read this interview.

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the heads-up mrpeebee. An excellent interview. Julian Pressley is such a great player, and seems to be such a down to earth, warm person. I first heard of him with Odean Pope's group. Then a few years back I got a copy of his "Steppin' Out" CD. Wow, what an eye opener!

I highly recommend taking the time to read this interview.
Glad you liked the interview saxomorris and grumps. :)

Also fully agree about Julian's personality. I've learned to know him here on SOTW and through private emails because of the Jacquet connection (I've posted a lot about IJ and other older jazz hero's here on the forum). It was nice to discover about our shared memories of the 1998 concert posted in the other thread. I was also surprised about what kind of different styles Julian played (and with who). From the Jacquet stuff you would think he is into old Swing, but from his wonderful CD you get the Bebop vibes and his work with Pope and others also show a much more modern and adventurous approach to music (Ornette alike).

Great to see so much influences in one man and as you said he is very modest and down to earth in his behavior and always willing to share his great knowledge and experiences.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,228 Posts
Thank you saxomorris, Grumps, and lesacks for the kind words. And thank you Peter for doing all that you do. Thank you all!

·
1,228 Posts
Thanks BOPITY FUNK and ZenBen. And I want to thank Victor Shermer for wanting to talk to me in the first place. He writes very well and possesses a pretty off center personality.

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Julian, I think I've mentioned it before, but you should write a book or let someone like Victor Schermer write down your beautiful story's and memories.

I would for sure buy that book. :)

·
1,228 Posts
Thanks for that thought Peter. I have heard that suggestion before and I'll take that into consideration. And thank you Dig Gonsalves. I'm sure that somewhere out there there's something, some kind of record of the years Bateman and I played music together, from 1973 until he left in 2010. We were both pretty much dealing with day to day survival, trying to get a gig, so not much thought was given to recording.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,588 Posts
Great interview. Back from the days when you tried to sound like yourself most often and not like a guy you hears on a record. Great advise K

1 - 17 of 17 Posts