Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,230 Posts
i don't know if i have ever seen a more beautiful saxophone. That is one pretty sax!

·
Registered
392 Posts
I’m a traditionalist. Cool looking horn....like it just came out of a French bordello.

Seriously, why would you want an SBA to look like a Cannonball?

(I realize that there is an audience for these types of things.)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,230 Posts
Beautiful is beautiful, but i've never seen a French bordello, so i wouldn't know about that. :bluewink:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,936 Posts
Seriously, why would you want an SBA to look like a Cannonball?
It doesn’t, but if you cannot discern the difference, then it’s lost on you.

I think that’s a great price and would consider it myself, but I predict it will go much higher.

And yes, FWIW, it would be my main player.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I think it's gorgeous. My main player is an early Mark VI with SBA tube, so I speculate I'd like it, but you never know until you play it. But it is very pretty!

·
Registered
531 Posts
Beautiful sax but I doubt it's original if it has a Mark VI style thumb hook and double B/Bb key guards. Whoever did the work did a great job, though; I'd love to have this one!

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
That's freaking gorgeous. I used to own an SBA with the serial #39410......so ONE digit away from this one. Mine had the solid thumb hook (for what it's worth).
Will forever regret selling that horn, but alas....

·
Registered
8,025 Posts
Beautiful sax but I doubt it's original if it has a Mark VI style thumb hook and double B/Bb key guards. Whoever did the work did a great job, though; I'd love to have this one!
I have a BA that the previous owner had a Mark VI thumb hook added on. I wish it had the original. Due to the angle of the lower stack I found it took a little getting used to.
I hate silver plated horns.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I don't think I've ever even seen an SBA with an original Mark VI style thumb hook PERIOD, even the latest ones all seem to have the welded-on fixed thumbhook. The Mark VI style one was probably added-on, although I don't know if that is a plus or minus towards the authenticity of the finish.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Too much funny business here though, I'm going to say the seller is either misinformed or deceptive.

Previously unknown finish ... red flag
"This serial number was placed at a later unknown time" ... red flag
And are you going to tell me this engraving wasn't buffed down when the original finish was removed and this new silver/gold combo was put on?
View attachment 218674
... red flag

Or it could be a horn originally finished like this one #38812 but with gold added more recently.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,888 Posts
Another red flag if this means what I think:

"hope that every bidder understands that I only sell the saxophone if I think the offer is acceptable. the valuation report from which I can send the report amounted to € 15500 in January 2018. I have been told that a comparable tenor was sold on Ebay for $ 28,500 at the beginning of 2017. Good luck !"

This implies that maybe, even if you win the auction the seller might not accept that as a final sale. If that is the case they should have had a starting price they would accept, or a reserve.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts