Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
2,666 Posts
Wow, look at that!

I suggest you call (not email) Dave Hoskins at junkdude.com and ask him to have Ralph Morgan check out that mouthpiece.

It's really odd for several reasons: 1.) It doesn't have a Morgan logo. 2.) This mouthpiece does not have the shape of early Morgan clarinet mouthpieces. 3.) The "4" size does not fit Ralph's clarinet mouthpiece numbering scheme. 4.) I've never seen a "Pro" desigination on a Morgan mouthpiece.

I might write to the seller and ask him to tell me what he knows about the history of the mouthpiece.

Personally, I'd recommend that you stay away from this mouthpiece and get a new Morgan mouthpiece from Junk Dude if you want a Morgan.

Roger

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,081 Posts
There's an awful lot of fine print in that auction...:D

·
2,666 Posts
I received a reply from the seller but it didn't tell me anything that helped all that much. He said he's not the original owner and it came in the kind of plastic tube that Ralph uses for his mouthpieces and it has a Morgan sticker. He did not say where he purchased the piece.

The mouthpiece does not look like "mint condition" in the pictures. Never the less, IF this is a real Morgan mouthpiece and is an early model it could be interesting from a historical/collector standpoint. But, in my opinion, if I was in the market for a Morgan clarinet mouthpiece to actually use I'd simply order a new one from Junk Dude.

Roger

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist / Forum Contributor 2
4,202 Posts
There's no way that ever passed through Ralph's hands. The table is messed up. The rails are bad. The Morgan Pro Tone has a stamped logo on it.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Maybe it was made by Ralph's blind, deaf and inbred third-cousin, Jethro Morgan.

·
5,528 Posts
Wow....

I have a clarinet mouthpiece just like this. The piece really resembles a Hite Premiere with teeth marks, but where the Hite logo is supposed to be, it's all filed and rough. And in its place it says "Morgan 'Pro' Model #5". The font looks hand written like I (I mean somebody) took an ice pick and scratched the name on there.

But surely it's real. Anybody want'a buy? ;)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
1,184 Posts
It was made by Morgan O'Doule, a bartender in Peoria, Illinois who found an old Goldentone mouthpiece in a pawn shop, refaced it with his trusty Gerber hunting knife, and decided to quit his day gig to become a full-time mouthpiece refacer.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LMAO...thanks for looking at this...and actually I am thinking more Fobes Grabner and a real Morgan mouthpiece than this....i play on a B45 and find it incredibly resistant and its just something i dont enjoy...however i despite the resistence i like to play clarinet

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,081 Posts
David Spiegelthal said:
It was made by Morgan O'Doule
Isn't it customary for a refacer to scratch, err, engrave his/her name on the mouthpiece?
What if the mouthpiece runs out of free space after x refacings?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,086 Posts
Many refacers do not put their name on the mouthpiece. There have been discussions as to why. Some say it is because if someone else monkeys with it and consequently screws it up it can be passed on with their name looking like their poor work. Some just dont...I would not without the owners permission.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist TSGT(Ret)USAF
1,390 Posts
It does not have the Morgan scroll trademark
Yet, Ralph does mark the Info by hand with an engraver.
His new jazz models are the clarinet J5 J6 J7,.
But maybe he did make a PRO model a long time ago...
The tube sounds just like Ralph complete with sticker.
The mouthpiece side rails and tip look way to wide for a Morgan.
It started out as a Morgan pro model that somebody else butchered and ruined. Then they are trying to sell it as an original facing, instead of a gross caveman facing.
This is why I hate e-bay, Non-experts selling to non-experts. People being screwed out of their money.
GO to Junk dude and get the real deal

King(Morgan Clarinet J6)

·
2,666 Posts
Iplaydabari,

It's hard to go wrong with a Fobes, Grabner, or Morgan. Each of them make world-class mouthpieces. It's a matter learning about the various models and determining which one is the best match for you. Fobes and Grabner have their own web sites and there is info about Morgan pieces on the junkdude site. Checking out the info on these sites can be helpful to you.

Good luck. Let us know how you come out.

Let's hope some poor sucker doesn't buy that mouthpiece on ebay!

Roger

·
SOTW Administrator
26,216 Posts
littlemanbighorn said:
That looks like a regular Morgan Vintage to me. (just fuzzier.)
Sorry, thought it would have his logo on it.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
king koeller said:
It started out as a Morgan pro model that somebody else butchered and ruined. Then they are trying to sell it as an original facing, instead of a gross caveman facing.,.....
In my first year of college I bought a Morgan 4c alto mouthpiece for a really good price from Long and McQuade who were clearing them out.
In a moment of youthful stupidity, I decided it was too closed and "How hard could it really be to open up the tip?" and took some fine sandpaper to it. As you can imagine it turned from too small into useless. I wouldn't ever have imagined of trying to sell it to anyone, though.
Not being the quickest learner in the world, I had a HR link bari piece that I thought would be perfect if the table was a little flatter.......

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,915 Posts
From the man himself

Dear Carl,
The first plastic clarinet mouthpiece I made was labeled "Junior",(I'm assuming this is plastic),but the logo I have used on all hard rubber pieces is the familiar MORGAN across
a wreath. When I decided on the finished format I had a die made to read, "MORGAN, and
with the word "PROTONE'" below that. I did not use the word, "PRO" on my mouthpieces.
Neither have I used numbers to designate tip openings until our new VINTAGE line was introduced about 4 years ago. The models were always marked, "RM-06, RM-10, etc..on the hard rubber pieces.
Of course, the tube container would be available in many ways.
Perhaps a bit more research on your part will clarify the situation.
By the way, the interior shape of the throat denotes this is one of RUNYON models, which are made for many customers.
Very sincerely,
Ralph Morgan

1 - 20 of 27 Posts