Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I'm new to the saxophone and I bought a Venus soprano. My setup is as follows:

Venus Soprano
Cannonball Classic mouthpiece
Rico Hemke 2 reeds

Tell me what you guys think, and any tips. Thanks!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Which Venus soprano - straight or curvy?

I have the curvy, with a Kessler custom mp and Alexander NY cut #2.5 reeds. I really like the sound and power, it plays very well; quite a good deal. I've tweaked it a bit using my eBay LED leak light ($5 total!), as I was expecting for a $250 sax, but so far so good. Eventually I will need to keep the adjustment screws in place better - they are a bit loose. The horn seems to be VERY mp and reed sensitive - way more than my Yani S990 straight sop.

Is this the first sax you've ever played? Soprano is not easy to start with - IMO, you better get some lessons now, before you find you have bad habits to break !!!!!! Especially embouchure help................

·
Registered
328 Posts
I don't know about that Cannonball mouthpiece? What are these like?

Maybe try something standard and reliable? Something from Selmer (S80 C*) or maybe Vandoren?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just got a Venus curvie, after reading postings here, and I really like it. It's got it's points where it's clearly made to a budget, and the keys seem to be a bit smaller and more cramped than on my straight Jupiter, but it's great fun. Some people here have upgraded their el cheapo horns with nice fittings, but I don't think I'll be doing that myself, at least not for a while.

I'm using a Yamaha 7C, with a nice generic metal ligature and Rico Royal 2 1/2.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the C-Me
2,057 Posts
I didn't know Yamaha had a 7C!
Crikey, now I'm worried :mrgreen:

But, all joking aside, I also didn't know they went that high until recently - I picked up a tenor 7C off ebay, to try on a C-Melody, quite flexible.

Might have to try a 7C on the curvie sops (one of them is a Venus) - think the soprano tip opening is still less than 60 thou.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Now I can't find the 7C on Yamaha's site, so that's odd. When I got it, I remember looking up the tip opening. I think it's about .056. My other mp is a Meyer 6M, which is .054, and is very similar to play, though darker sounding.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts