Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought me one of these:

http://www.discount-musical.com/product.php?productid=70&cat=13&page=1

Quite funny, I'm currently working in London, so I dropped in sax.co.uk and got a Yamaha 5C mpiece, rovner lig, some reeds and cork grease...and it came to nearly half the cost of the sax :D

After half an hour of playing, it seems to play reasonably in tune across the entire 'normal' range of the instrument, but I've still got a lot of getting used to it.

No, I have absolutelly no idea what the mouthpiece it came with sounds like. I never even tried it.

Some questions:

Jeez, that feels funny when you tongue...all buzzy, nothing like the tenor. Do you get used to it? Maybe I'll be doing a lot of slurring and not much tonguing on the soprano :)

What are the white gloves actually for? Like am I supposed to play in them? :p

Now, I need to go find something to play. The pink panther doesn't sound quite right on a soprano :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
Answers:

No. You never get used to that. Instead you spend a lot of cash on different mouthpieces trying to make the sop sound like you want it to. Almost everyone on sop does this.

Obviously, students in China wear gloves while playing their instruments to avoid finger prints and decay of the finish. So Chinese saxes often come with a pair.

Forget Pink Panther, it's Kenny G. time. :bluewink:

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, well teacher came round this morning and had a play. He normally teaches me tenor but the sop was good fun, he doesn't play one as such, but he had a good go, although we did end up sanding the mouthpiece cork to get it into tune.

ah, Kenny G....yeah, why not :)

I got Breathless outta the car and we worked through track 10 (sorry, no idea what it's called), but it's probably my fav off the album. (although tbh they all sound like the background music to some american tv series to me).

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
Had a black nickel curved Venus sop once as a back up,it blew very well indeed.Well worth the cash,intonation was great.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Two things:

0) Venus is a great brand, and not just for the price. I love my saxello style Venus ($299)
1) Push the mouthpiece on a lot; you will get the best sound if you have the piece pushed on far and use a relaxed embouchure.
2) Take a lot more mouthpiece in your mouth than you think you need to.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Two things: ...
:)

Well, couple of weeks playing it now.

0: yup, definately. Plays in tune across the range, can't really expect any more than that from a horn costing less than £200
1: Had to sand cork to get the mouthpiece on far enough to get it in tune
2: Yeah, although that's kinda standard advice, not really specific to Venus

Only problem I've had so far is a sticking pad. Cured with some pad papers.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I bought a LOCTO soprano sax and compared it to the photos of the Venus sax - they are exactly the same, and the case is exactly the same as well.

The LOCTO is a Chinese sax made for Emdan Instruments in the UK (emdan_instruments on UK ebay).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.