Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a Venus flute last week, my first flute ever. I'm still pretty bad, but playing my Venus against a Gemeinhardt S2P it was hands down a nicer flute, and my teacher (Gary Meek) agreed as well. My tech told me it was decently built, for what it was. Basically it'll fall apart in a 3-4 years give or take, but for the $130 I paid for it I'm more than satisfied. I'm planning on getting a pro quality flute in around that time anyways. Here's the one I got:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350475999321&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,200 Posts
One of the girls in my community band has one of these flutes.
After a few months the 'gold' started to come off from the keys and lip plate.
Now after rehearsals she has a nice grey/green patch under her lip.
It's a little 'pitchy', but other than those little issues it sounds like a flute. :)

·
3,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One of the girls in my community band has one of these flutes.
After a few months the 'gold' started to come off from the keys and lip plate.
Now after rehearsals she has a nice grey/green patch under her lip.
It's a little 'pitchy', but other than those little issues it sounds like a flute. :)
The intonation isn't perfect, but that probably has a lot more to do with my poor flute chops honestly haha. Can't argue with the price either way.

·
3,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
2,998 Posts
You won't need at pro quality flute in 3-4 years time, you'll need a reliable, repairable, functioning flute that will encourage good playing habits, pitch tendancies and not ask you to gradually compensate for the shortcomings of the instrument between now and then.

Glad your happy though.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,925 Posts

·
2,998 Posts
as they said at army basic training years ago, 'once again, you've set a low standard and failed to achieve' :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've been playing a Venus alto flute for exactly two years, and it's the most enjoyable instrument I've ever played. It's also the only alto flute I've ever played so I can't really compare it with any other, but I can say that it plays as well as any C-flute I've played on. It's mechanically sound (excuse the pun), and plays in tune - what more do I need? A couple of months ago I bought a rosewood head-joint, which opened the sound out in a way I could only describe as adding a new dimension to how the flute responds. The mechanical work I had to do on this headjoint is worthy of discussion in a new thread sometime, but for now, in discussing the Venus flute I could only say that I'd happily buy another one as a backup instrument in case my present one gets stolen, run over by a truck or if I happen to sit on it and bend it (I actually did that recently with one of my C-flutes...).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts