Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market to add alto flute to my repetoire. Musicwheel from Ebay has its alto flute priced around $800.00, which is definetely in my price range. I haven't found much in the area of comments from forum users when I conducted a search for reviews here, so I was wondering if anyone here has tried one. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Stay away from the cheap chinese flutes I have a dean yang alto but it is a high end alto thats made in taiwan and is excellent cost me 1100

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,102 Posts
I'm in the market to add alto flute to my repetoire. Musicwheel from Ebay has its alto flute priced around $800.00, which is definetely in my price range. I haven't found much in the area of comments from forum users when I conducted a search for reviews here, so I was wondering if anyone here has tried one. Thanks.
I don't know about the venus, but I have a Chinese alto which is an extremely nice well made flute with a beautiful tone. It's not just me, a professional symphony flautist also thought it was up there among the very expensive established brands.

However, although some people assume all Chinese instruments are the same, or the same quality, I don't think this is true. So this doesn't mean the Musical Wheel or Venus will be as good, but I believe it at least means it might be as good.

That company seems to have a good reputation though, their very cheap saxophone mouthpieces are good, and as long as there is a return policy you can't go wrong IMO.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've played one of their flutes, it looks really nice but the mechanics are wobbly and bad. I'd stay away from it if I were you.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,288 Posts
I have sold Venus, Lalo and other altos from China and for th price they are good. IF you are using an alto for a lot of recording work or orchestral playing you may want to go in the higher range but for a doubler's flute, it should be OK. Get the 2 head model as the curved head is nice for pit work and it is much easier to resell.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Not all chinese horns are bad dogster.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I don't have a Venus alto, but I do have a Venus C flute and piccolo (although I'm not using the C Flute anymore...). They're pretty good, not a professional model instrument, but have withheld a few good years of harsh playing!
I borrowed a lower model Altus for a while until I got my new flute, and tried the Altus head on the Venus body (the Altus just had a silver riser with plated headjoint and body and was inline G) and it made a significant difference to the Venus (which was plated also, but was offset G and had a split E). The combination was great, and I loved the ergonomics of offset G. It's worth trying out. And they do have a return policy.

If you've got a little more money to spend though, the Brio alto flutes are a great buy. I played a friends, and loved it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Contributor 2010
1,502 Posts
Yes, the Brio is an excellent alto flute. I bought one recently. Well made, comfortable, plays like a dream...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just put a reply in to a different thread regarding Venus flutes, and seeing this one addresses the alto specifically I'll add a little here - I've had a venus alto flute for a couple of years and I'm very happy with it. The mechanism is excellent, especially considering the price of the instrument. It sounds and feels okay, plays in tune ..
I outfitted it with a rosewood headjoint and I've got now what feels to me as my ideal instrument. The venus cost me about $900; the wood headjoint about $230 (which included the postage from China), so for a bit over $1100 I've got a thoroughly enjoyable instrument.
I could've settled for a much more expensive instrument, one with more of a "name", but then, I'd still be saving for it..

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Contributor 2010
1,502 Posts
There is a Venus alto flute being posted locally in the Bay Area for $350 that you might check out...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
729 Posts
I have sold Venus, Lalo and other altos from China and for th price they are good. IF you are using an alto for a lot of recording work or orchestral playing you may want to go in the higher range but for a doubler's flute, it should be OK. Get the 2 head model as the curved head is nice for pit work and it is much easier to resell.
Bruce: Have you played the Venus bass flute or any other chinese bass flute? what do you think about chinese basses?.-

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,288 Posts
I had one that was pretty good but I don't rememeber the brand. I think I paid in the $600 range used for it and the fit and finish was pretty good, springing OK, pads decent. The only downside I found was that some people had trouble finding the sweet spot playing it but that may have been the inexperience with a bass. Considering what the "brand" names sell for, I think for under $900 they are pretty good buys. The case was a protec clone type of deal. These have light action and smaller keywork like high end basses and not the largish keywork most US mid level basses have.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
729 Posts
Thanks for the reply Bruce, after a long time I picked up the flute again, and I started to think of a bass...not now but maybe in a couple of months. My budget is limited so then I started to watch out for the chinese ones. I liked my chinese nino enough to think of one of these, if the basses are build like the ninos (and the same good intonation),I think it could be interesting to find one of these to give a try.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts