Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a reliable repair tech for a friend....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
alto: 82Zii/Medusa/Supreme, tenor: Medusa, bari: b-901, sop, sc-990
7,507 Posts
Ross Steidinger at Nick Rail music in Santa Barbara.

·
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks....

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Don't go to him Stan, well you can if you want to. I did and got screwed! I went to him on recommendation from Soybean lol...I had Ross do an overhaul on my King Super 20 tenor, and I ended up having another tech completely redo my horn. This guy, Ross, told me the horn would be completed in 2 weeks, it took him 9 weeks and the horn wasn't even put together right. Screws coming loose, the octave mechanism wasn't even put back on right, some keys were hard to press down on them, etc...

The horn had an awful smell to it, that's the reason mainly why I wanted the horn overhauled. Told this guy I wanted the horn washed, and to get rid of the smell, he didn't even do that. He put back all the old felt's, cork's on the horn. The horn made all kind's of clanking noises, the horn would barely play, the horn was a mess.

I told Ross about it, he said, part of the process is coming back and tweaking the horn. And he lied, saying that he washed the horn, and I told him that he did not, that the smell was still in the horn, which he disagreed to. Also he told me that a key post was stuck, so it took him 7 weeks to get this one keypost unstuck,lol. This guy is a joke, if I would have went back I would have probably ended up in jail, lol.
Anyway, I went to a tech named Saul Yanez who took my horn completely apart, washed it, and redid everything, he told me that Ross doesn't know what he's doing, that the more he got into the horn, the more mistakes he found.
Good luck in your decision Stan...but I warned you,lol...Ross is also a good bulls#@[email protected]#$, but no, I had to listen to Soybean, saying he's the best, lol.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,398 Posts
Ross Steidinger at Nick Rail music in Santa Barbara.
Well, in the other direction from Santa Barbara is a Nick Rail in Agoura Hills. I can totally vouch for Tim. He's been my main guy for a few years now. I just had a 1/2 overhaul (G# on up) done about 2 months ago on my Shadow. I had it out on a grueling 5 week Christmas tour (25 dates in 30 days) and it held regulation perfectly. He also cleaned in pretty well too, which I didn't even ask for. He used synthetic corks and they are super quiet.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
alto: 82Zii/Medusa/Supreme, tenor: Medusa, bari: b-901, sop, sc-990
7,507 Posts
…Ross is also a good bulls#@[email protected]#$, but no, I had to listen to Soybean, saying he's the best, lol.
Joe, no one made you go there or "had to listen to Soybean". Obviously, you had a bad experience but my experiences have always been positive. In fact, I've been using him for the last 10 years on multiple horns and had nothing but professionalism. If anyone wants more info, please send me a private message because I don't think it's productive to bad mouth people on a public forum.

·
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, in the other direction from Santa Barbara is a Nick Rail in Agoura Hills. I can totally vouch for Tim. He's been my main guy for a few years now. I just had a 1/2 overhaul (G# on up) done about 2 months ago on my Shadow. I had it out on a grueling 5 week Christmas tour (25 dates in 30 days) and it held regulation perfectly. He also cleaned in pretty well too, which I didn't even ask for. He used synthetic corks and they are super quiet.
Woody, thanks for the referral....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts