Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just took possession of a Vento 900 series big bell tenor brass lacquered body version today and I am so impressed with it that I wanted to share my thoughts with you here. I just wrote a review to post on Amazon where I bought it so I will just re-post that here...

Stunning! Absolutely STUNNING!!!! That was my first impression looking at this beautiful instrument when I received it yesterday. Then came the absolute shock, horror, and utter dismay when I played it and could play nothing below low D. Disgusted, I fired off a quick return request and packed it back up. I was SO disappointed I felt sick. After moping around a few minutes I remembered I had purchased the Haynes Saxophone manual by Stephen Howard. "All may not be lost after all", I thought as I opened the book re-opened the box, and took out the heavy duty, fully locking, classy case and removed my wounded princess from her chamber.

I had planned an eloquent speech here about the process I went through to cure the problem but let me just sum it up rather quickly and to the point. The side Bb cup/pad had taken a jolt in shipping and simply needed a gentle nudge to re-center it with the tone hole. After that, BOOM, $5,000.00 horn for $999.99!

Friends, if you are looking for the absolute best bang for your buck in a tenor sax purchase look no further. This is IT! It won't get any better for this price, maybe not ANY price. Also, buy it quickly because I have been informed by the seller that this brand/horn is being re-branded and will be an LA Sax horn in the near future so these are being liquidated at this steal of a price! Trust me, it is spectacular!!!!!!!! Everything about it shines from the sweet, butter smooth tone, to the way it feels in your hands, the finish, the look, man, that jaw dropping detailed appearance. Oh the immaculately conceived and executed, beautiful engraving! What a crime that they offer no better photographs than these little tiny ones to see. If only they would bother to post better pictures of these works of art they would sell so many they couldn't keep them in stock! I will be taking some high quality photos very soon to share but for now just know it is 1,000 times better looking than what these tiny photos let you see on your screen.

Buy it! It is destined to be a sought after piece for decades to come. It is a sight to behold and a pleasure to play.

p.s. I will post photos here as well when they are ready :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No problem. I'll certainly share some when I make them along with the photos. It's 4:10 AM here where I live right now and my 21 month old son would NOT be happy to hear Daddy across the hall blowing on his tenor at this hour :) not to mention my sleeping wife who has to be at work in 3 hours!!! ha ha

For now be happy with this. He plays a thousand times better than I do...

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
42,172 Posts
there are many good Chinese and Taiwanese saxophones bought and sold by the well known Dennis Bamber owner of L.A. Sax brand (and Vento) , they satisfy the needs of many players, especially in the USA.

I would frankly doubt that any of those are “ destined to be a sought after piece for decades to come” but I might be mistaken and time will tell

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I also have purchased a Sax Dakota SDXG 606 Tenor. Wanted both and was very fortunate to be in a position to get them and plan on keeping both. It hasn't shipped yet but when it arrives I'll share my impressions of it as well. I must apologize if I came off as brash. I am aware there are a ton of amazing horns and have no doubt many are far better than mine, just sharing my experiences and opinions. Love all saxes, wish I could try them all. Thanks to all of you by the way. I've learned a great deal of valuable information about playing from you all.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,513 Posts
Welcome to sotw. The search function should provide you with a lot of information on these and other horns manufactured in Vietnam under the names: Chateau, Kessler, Orpheo Signature, Vento, Music Factory Direct and more that I can not remember at this moment.

My personal experiences are with the Copper lacquered over brass Orpheo Signature curved soprano, alto and tenor and Chateau Tenor

In my one year experience with the tenors I found the build quality on par with even the more expensive horns on the market, and my tech agreed wholeheartedly.

I have consequently sold the curved sop and tenors but only because the tenor was a bit heavy compared to my other tenors, and then sold the curved soprano because I never really gigged it much.

As member Gary has said a zillion times, "use the search function."

·
Banned
941 Posts
Welcome to sotw. The search function should provide you with a lot of information on these and other horns manufactured in Vietnam under the names: Chateau, Kessler, Orpheo Signature, Vento, Music Factory Direct and more that I can not remember at this moment.

My personal experiences are with the Copper lacquered over brass Orpheo Signature curved soprano, alto and tenor and Chateau Tenor

In my one year experience with the tenors I found the build quality on par with even the more expensive horns on the market, and my tech agreed wholeheartedly.

I have consequently sold the curved sop and tenors but only because the tenor was a bit heavy compared to my other tenors, and then sold the curved soprano because I never really gigged it much.

As member Gary has said a zillion times, "use the search function."
Wow , made in Vietnam, I did not know that...But, I do wonder at a horn that can have a badly off center key cup and can be "gently nudged" into place. That means by deduction, a gentle nudge anywhere on the horn could put that horn out of commission, and also implies really weak brass in the key work.

·
42,172 Posts
actually OP wasn’t looking for any information, he was GIVING us his opinion and enthusiastic review about the horn he bought recently ........

·
Banned
941 Posts
there are many good Chinese and Taiwanese saxophones bought and sold by the well known Dennis Bamber owner of L.A. Sax brand (and Vento) , they satisfy the needs of many players, especially in the USA.

I would frankly doubt that any of those are " destined to be a sought after piece for decades to come" but I might be mistaken and time will tell
Thanks for the useful information!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,356 Posts
my thoughts too trainspotter.

No need to snipe Milandro. Clearly the issue is somewhat a touchy subject to big brand purists.

I didn't know that info about Dennis Bramber nor did I know that all those makes of horns were essentially the same.

If you are allowed to offer info I don't see why Brian isn't.

·
42,172 Posts
well, I wasn’t sure what was the point to tell OP to use the search function while OP wasn’t searching anything he was just giving us his more than enthusiastic opininion on his new bought horn........

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,513 Posts
actually OP wasn't looking for any information, he was GIVING us his opinion and enthusiastic review about the horn he bought recently ........
Milandro. I re-read my post and it may have come off as snarky but that was absolutely NOT my intention. I just thought a newer member might be interested in all the info that came before he joined. :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,356 Posts
well, I wasn't sure what was the point to tell OP to use the search function while OP wasn't searching anything he was just giving us his more than enthusiastic opininion on his new bought horn........
Ok, that makes sense.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh I actually did use the search function as I have many, many times here and many other web pages over the past 17 years since I acquired Internet access. I just don't post often here but I have searched and read MUCH since beginning the tenor sax about a year and a half ago. I found one thread pertaining to this particular brand and read all I could here before making my purchase but it didn't offer a lot of detail. Ultimately I bought it based on the features offered on this horn which are scarcely detailed on the sellers site. Seems they want you to guess or assume a lot, roll the dice and purchase one first before you really know what you're getting. Anyway, yes I am enthused :) and while my low post count may suggest naivety I assure you I am a grizzled old veteran of Internet chat forums with many thousands of posts elsewhere on forums pertaining to a wide array of subjects. For those of you who play wind controllers you may know me as the guy who makes the skins for them. I've made them for eight years now and have sold several hundred kits literally all over the world in probably 20 different countries.

I'm sure this horn does share some features with the makes you listed Brian but I doubt they all share the exact identical features. Perhaps certain models do? I have no idea. It's really tough to buy a new horn by just looking at photos and reading information on the Internet but when you live in a small town away from any larger cities as I do (can't just walk into a music store here that has a sax of any brand or type in stock - not joking) the only way to learn things is "look it up on the net" because you dang sure won't find anyone local that knows jack squat. My major beef is that those who sell instruments on the Internet don't seem to bother taking high enough quality photos or explaining in detail exactly what they are selling so it's kind of hit and miss, buy it and return it if you don't like it, just be sure you buy from a seller that allows returns for refund.

This sax has rib mounted posts, didn't know that because I could find it nowhere listed by those who sell them. It also has rolled tone holes which I don't think Kessler or Orpheo's have, but I don't know that for sure because I haven't played detective as much with them. I don't know the brand of pads but they are thinner and more rigid than with 4 of the other various brands I have tried and are about identical as the Allora Chicago tenor which I also bought and tried and returned not too long ago. That purchase is what led me to buy this Vento because of the rolled tone holes. That gave the Allora a certain feel and sound I loved and so I wanted that feature if I could find it and it ain't easy to find that in a horn a penny under a thousand bucks! Heck the Sax Dakota doesn't have that and it's well over that. My only real reason for returning the Allora to WWBW was the poor finish quality and that was probably intentional as they are trying to make that horn look old. Again, they didn't actually SAY that but I gathered it after buying it and seeing it in person, it just isn't very heavily coated, scratches very easily and just doesn't shine like I wanted. I'm vain that way, I like shiny stuff! It played very well but not as fully colored as this Vento in tone. Not even CLOSE! They are very similar on features but most definitely not identical. Bell on the Vento is exactly 1/8" larger in diameter. Necks are different, joints are different in design and shape. Ribbing is slightly different, and the engraving is WAY different and the finish is completely different as well. Cases are wildly different too but both are very nice. Extremely surprised at the build quality of this case that came with the Vento. The two locking slide out recessed latches - reminds me of the case of my old silver Conn trumpet I owned back in the seventies.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,513 Posts
It sounds like you are happy to be playing and that is what counts!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
LOVING it! The sax, especially tenor, has a vibration that becomes addictive right down to your very soul!!!!!!! Ahhhhhhhhhh :) yes, I am happy to be playing.

Closer inspection of the Bb cup arm today has revealed the cause of the problem. The mounting screw is barely long enough to reach the mounting post which causes the entire arm/cup assembly to wobble. Is that a pretty standard item I can purchase somewhere? The C arm/cup just above it has a screw that goes all the way through and flush with the mounting post on the end. I assume I need one identical to it. It measures exactly 28mm - and the broken one causing the problem I would guess is about 24 or 25mm. I'm not taking it out for fear of not getting it back and rendering my beautifully playing sax again unplayable as I wait for a new screw! ha ha Anyway, I didn't find a screw fragment in the case nor did I hear anything break as I nudged it back yesterday so I assume this was just a wrong screw inserted at the factory or a break that occurred there or somewhere prior to it being shipped out to me.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Closer inspection of the Bb cup arm today has revealed the cause of the problem. The mounting screw is barely long enough to reach the mounting post which causes the entire arm/cup assembly to wobble. Is that a pretty standard item I can purchase somewhere? The C arm/cup just above it has a screw that goes all the way through and flush with the mounting post on the end. I assume I need one identical to it. It measures exactly 28mm - and the broken one causing the problem I would guess is about 24 or 25mm. I'm not taking it out for fear of not getting it back and rendering my beautifully playing sax again unplayable as I wait for a new screw! ha ha Anyway, I didn't find a screw fragment in the case nor did I hear anything break as I nudged it back yesterday so I assume this was just a wrong screw inserted at the factory or a break that occurred there or somewhere prior to it being shipped out to me.
Can you post a picture of it? That would help us diagnose the problem & help you find a solution.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Is that the side Bb? If so, it looks like the threaded (receiving)end of the rod that should go through the key. Has it come loose from the other end? Can you screw it in further from the other post?

Nice camera, by the way :)

1 - 20 of 70 Posts