Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my dial indicator and built a tip opening gauge similar to the one sold by Theo Wanne. I then measured a few of my alto mouthpieces and found that some of them varied considerably from those published by manufactures and those found on various tip opening charts. For example the published tip opening for a Selmer C is 62. My Selmer C measured 54! The published tip opening for a Selmer C* is 65. My Selmer C* measured 60. the published tip opening for a Rico B5 is 95. My B5 measured 73! The published tip opening for a Rico B3 is 83. My B3 measured 67. Wow, quite a difference. The only one that was right on the money was the cheepo Gigliotti Spectrum tenor mouthpiece that I recently purchased. It was advertised on eBay with a tip opening of 67, and low and behold, mine is right on 67!!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,033 Posts
Since all of your mouthpieces measured more closed, I suspect you are measuring at the wrong point or the gauge is off.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,430 Posts
Nevertheless, tip openings on handmade mouthpieces have always had fairly wide variations. This is just one reason its best to play several of the kind you're interested in.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The gauge is accurate. Verified it's accuracy by comparing it with micrometer readings on various pieces of flat stock. Obviously, I measured the tips at the narrowest point of the opening...Isn't that what we're looking for.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Welcome to the party pal - it's a world of inconsistent pieces
Once had a Ponzol measured by a good refacer .010" off
Dukoff, Beechlers, Lakey and others - all inconsistent - been going on a long time
Have to send just about all of them to a trusted refacer
Even the high dollar boutique pieces can be sent out to you way off what is stamped on the piece
Just part of getting screwed over if you are a player and not getting what you paid for
Best of luck to us all !!

·
Premium Member
15,480 Posts
I’ve had loads of modern mouthpieces come in here that do not measure correctly.
It’s too bad some mouthpiece makers don’t take more time and care to make sure their pieces measure right.

I won’t name any names, but I can tell you there are MANY modern pieces out there not done right ON A CONSISTENT BASIS.

Sorry to hear of this. It’s not good.

·
Registered
8,975 Posts
A few makers, like Selmer, spec their tip openings at the very tip instead of inside the tip rail. But that usually only adds about .003” to the reading.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
This is not uncommon, and probably doesn't mean much. I recently bought a couple of Otto Link soprano hard rubber pieces. One a 6, the other a 6*. The facings were almost identical, and the 6 tip opening measured at 0.061". The 6* was 0.060"... The 6* played better, this was I believe primarily due to the table, which was in much better shape than that of the 6.

I really don't believe that a few thousandths of an inch (or hundredths of a mm) difference in the tip opening makes much difference in mouthpiece performance. Things like flat tables, well-formed, symmetrical facing curves and properly formed baffles do...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts