Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, this is sort of embarrassing. I have a piece that was recorded some time ago but the guitarist hasn't played it since (was played only once and recorded during a rehearsal with my improvising a melodic line). He played it recently in a different tempo with a different feel. It was recorded and I picked it out as OK and gave it a different name. Is one better than the other? The original used tenor, the current one is played on alto.

Link to the current one:
https://soundcloud.com/whampton-court%2Fi-didnt-know
The previous one is:
https://soundcloud.com/whampton-court%2Fmagpies
The guitar and sax are on separate channels so you can download or just play the guitar track and do your own thing with either version. If you need these re-posted with the guitar only, this can be done on request.

My interest was in honestly not recognizing the piece and finding how different each improvisation came out.

Comments, and/or additions of your own renditions are welcome.

·
Banned
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thinking? Reminds me of an angry question from my mother: "What were you thinking!?" There is little or no conscious thought just response. I don't know how many players consciously decide on what or how they play. The sax is an instrument that I try to sing through. It's spontaneous and only requires that I have the sounds in my head and enough technique to play the notes I'm hearing. My lack of technique semi-consciously filters out more technical playing.

At times I fight with my conscious mind/ego to get into the "zone" where it just flows. Every once in a while something comes out of the horn that surprises and delights triggering the ego/conscious mind to decide some self congratulations are in order. At that instant of "trying to own" what happened it usually falls apart with my slipping out of the "zone". I've heard many others relate similar experiences.

My goal is to stay as long as possible in the "zone" without being let down by ego and/or technical problems. Hearing the lines without conscious contrivance is not a problem; accurately executing them without owning them is the hard part.

A long way around to answer your question Mike: I have no idea what I was thinking as it's more like a meditation where the conscious mind is (hopefully) shut off.

Will tell the guitarist that you like his playing. We are somewhat complimentary in that neither of us is technically very good, but are comfortable playing in our own style and (within our limitations) experimenting with different sounds and feelings.

Many thanks for the feedback.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts