1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
177 Posts
Fits perfectly on a modern STM NY - no fiddling, slipping or moving around; and that alone is an improvement, to me, over the Link lig that comes with new 'pieces. I've found relatively little sound/response difference between metal ligs that fit well vs Rovners and the like (I seem to struggling mostly with [EXPLETIVE DELETED] reeds lately...).

·
Banned
334 Posts
Fits perfectly on a modern STM NY - no fiddling, slipping or moving around; and that alone is an improvement, to me, over the Link lig that comes with new 'pieces. I've found relatively little sound/response difference between metal ligs that fit well vs Rovners and the like (I seem to struggling mostly with [EXPLETIVE DELETED] reeds lately...).
Mine does not fit my STM NY, and i am not going to start bending it to make it fit cause I use it on my V16.

·
Banned
1,812 Posts
The Optimum is a nice lig but I strongly suspect that the pressure plates don't affect the sound when switched. Has anyone done a blind test on this?

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,790 Posts
The Optimum is a nice lig but I strongly suspect that the pressure plates don't affect the sound when switched. Has anyone done a blind test on this?
I noticed a difference when I switched them. The four dots one sound more centered and focused. The lines going across I hated and the lines going with the reed I liked the most. That's how I remember it when I tried the different plates a couple of times.

·
Registered
956 Posts
The sh#t is: Don't use ANY pressure plate w/this lig, on a metal Link. (in other words, NO pressure plate at all)
Check it out. You'll be surprised.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,878 Posts
I think they do make a difference. The plate with the four dots (#3) gives me more brilliance and is slightly brighter. I like the one with the vertical lines (#1) (not the ones across), if focuses the sound a little more and gives me more core.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,878 Posts
Also: I got a ligature for a Link metal mpc from Marc Jean. He adapts an original Link ligature. The way he makes it, you have to use it inverted. It looks weird at first, but I don't care, because it gives me the best sound, compared to several other ligatures, including a Saxxas, which is very good also.

·
Banned
1,812 Posts
I just checked and I'm using the four dots, one of the ones some people liked in another thread. That is good because I don't know where the hell I put the other plates.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The sh#t is: Don't use ANY pressure plate w/this lig, on a metal Link. (in other words, NO pressure plate at all)
I'll definitely check it out.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,790 Posts
I went through a stage where I did this on a HR link. The Optimum is a bit small for a HR link but if I took the plate off it fits great. When you tighten the lig it holds the reed on the outer sides of the reed. I'm not sure in the end if it was better or worse than other ligs but it did the job well.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,323 Posts
Original lig is still the best option for a Link IMO.
Unless you play Bari and the dumb lig is too narrow for any of the reed brands I play...

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The choice of pressure place makes less of a difference (possibly none) if the Link table is flattened.
Actually I definitely found variations in the tone using the pressure plate no matter the mouthpiece.

·
Banned
1,812 Posts
I found my plates. I have 1 of the four dots, 2 of the horizontal and 1 vertical. I tried the vertical one and like it much more. It's easier to play.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts