Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having problems trying to reach altissimo with this reed. My school's adjunct says that it is because the reed doesnt have enough wood. Is that true?
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
Joined
·
5,160 Posts
No - Unless you're playing an extremely light reed on a closed facing the ZZ's should play altissimo as well as any other reed. You may want to try the V16 - there are supposed to be designed with a thinker tip to enhance altissimo (But this may simply be hype)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,877 Posts
I had mostly disliked ZZ's. But they're the best thing so far for a different alto mpc I started playing recently.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
853 Posts
ZZ's seem to respond particularly well in the altissimo register for me. They do tend to run softer, so you maybe it's a strength issue?

-Dan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dstack79 said:
ZZ's seem to respond particularly well in the altissimo register for me. They do tend to run softer, so you maybe it's a strength issue?

-Dan
Well i been using 3 1/2 and nothing comes out. But on a La Voz Meduim it comes perfectly
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
1,404 Posts
I'm getting easy altissimo on virtually all of my tenor mouthpieces using ZZ 3.5 reeds. They do run a little soft, however.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
853 Posts
texacan said:
Well i been using 3 1/2 and nothing comes out. But on a La Voz Meduim it comes perfectly
Have you tried several ZZ's or just a few? Do the 3.5's feel too hard? That'd seem to be a lot different than a LaVoz Medium. Sometimes if one overdoes the harder reed thing, altissimo can be harder. You might actually want to try dropping down to a #3 on the ZZ if you decide you really like them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
I too have no problems with altissimo using ZZ's, I play on 3's
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
I have problems with those too. If they arent positioned exactly right on your mouthpiece, the air won't go through, and the sound becomes awful. You have to really get them moist to make them work too. IT takes forever to break it in, and they are quite frusturating. But if you get the conditions exactily right, then they have a beautiful sound trust me. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
I've been playing the ZZ's exclusively on alto for about a year now and really love them for both jazz & contemporary playing on both mouthpieces. Everybody is right, they are a bit softer than the blue box Vandorens. Check a reed strength chart against what worked for you in the past and then try and match it if you're really interested in evaluating the reed's sound against the others.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
3,875 Posts
dstack79 said:
Have you tried several ZZ's or just a few? Do the 3.5's feel too hard? That'd seem to be a lot different than a LaVoz Medium. Sometimes if one overdoes the harder reed thing, altissimo can be harder. You might actually want to try dropping down to a #3 on the ZZ if you decide you really like them.
According to Rico, a LaVoz Medium is in between a ZZ 2.5 and 3. So it's AT LEAST a half strength softer than a ZZ 3.5.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top