Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I’m re-learning the sax after a break of nearly 30 years. I’m playing a lovely Buescher True Tone and have been struggling to find the right mouthpiece for me. I recently ordered a V5 jazz a45 mouthpiece as I’d tried one in a shop and really liked it pre-Covid. My issue is I think I must have tried the a35 as I’m really struggling with the a45. Is there that much difference? Should I persevere or sell it on and go for the a35 model? I also play a selmer soloist C** and a Kanee C16 which are both fine but I wanted something to cut through a bit more. Any advice gratefully received.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Welcome to the forum and you have the basis with your C** (.071 tip) to perhaps make the Vandoren A35 (.081 tip) another usable option for you. A45 is at .086 and it might be a little too much for getting back into playing and also figuring out what reeds work best for the other 2 mouthpieces that are familiar to most.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum and you have the basis with your C** (.071 tip) to perhaps make the Vandoren A35 (.081 tip) another usable option for you. A45 is at .086 and it might be a little too much for getting back into playing and also figuring out what reeds work best for the other 2 mouthpieces that are familiar to most.
Thanks, this makes sense. In my younger days I could just about use any mouthpiece but I’m so out of practice now. I’ll sell on the a45 and try and get hold of a used a35 and see how I get on with that. Thanks again for the advice.

·
Registered
87 Posts
This is a nice piece and it is reasonably priced

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I’d seen this pop up on Facebook and did enquire if they ship to the U.K. (they do) but wasn’t sure as not seen any reviews- do you have one? Is it fairly easy to play?

·
Registered
131 Posts
I’d seen this pop up on Facebook and did enquire if they ship to the U.K. (they do) but wasn’t sure as not seen any reviews- do you have one? Is it fairly easy to play?

also... is it 3d printed?

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Hi. I’m re-learning the sax after a break of nearly 30 years. I’m playing a lovely Buescher True Tone and have been struggling to find the right mouthpiece for me. I recently ordered a V5 jazz a45 mouthpiece as I’d tried one in a shop and really liked it pre-Covid. My issue is I think I must have tried the a35 as I’m really struggling with the a45. Is there that much difference? Should I persevere or sell it on and go for the a35 model? I also play a selmer soloist C** and a Kanee C16 which are both fine but I wanted something to cut through a bit more. Any advice gratefully received.
As Lambros said, this is significantly more open than your other pieces. 0.086" is pretty open even for me (I think it's about the same as a Meyer 8) - I play a 7 or 6, and I've been playing since (gulp) 1961...

Try a softer reed, but bottom line it will be harder to control. With an open mouthpiece you need to work really hard at not biting :)

·
Registered
225 Posts
.086 is quite open for a low baffle piece (not so with a high baffle piece). That said, if you played an open piece like that in the past I would hesitate somewhat to sell it until your chops settle. I used to play an otto link 6* (.080), switched to a Philtone Orion 5 around .070, and after 6+ months playing the Orion I kinda wish I'd gotten a 7 instead, or at least a 6... But playing on a more narrow tip definitely helped me develop my embouchure. Going down a step or two is not a bad idea.

Tip opening is a weird thing, depending on the facing and internal geometry of the mouthpiece it can feel very different. I would say match your tip to your mouthpiece. If you stick to the V5, definitely a more narrow tip seems reasonable. On a jumbo java, .086 would be moderate and pretty easy to play.

Definitely a softer reed is the easy answer before spending a hundred books or so on a mouthpiece though. You will have to watch your pitch but it can definitely make an open piece playable when it might not be otherwise.

·
Registered
Alto: Buescher Aristocrat 1937, Tenor: Yanagisawa T880, Bari: Martin Committee III 1948
173 Posts
the store may swap it - how long have you had it for?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the store may swap it - how long have you had it for?
I got it from a German online store and as I’m in the UK, the shipping and taxes are now crazy post-Brexit - so I’ll try and either swap or sell on to save the hassle and expense. I’m a singer with a big band so will contact my sax colleagues and see if anyone has a decent swap 😁

·
Registered
Alto: Buescher Aristocrat 1937, Tenor: Yanagisawa T880, Bari: Martin Committee III 1948
173 Posts
Look at the second hand markets They are a damn good idea when you are getting the hang of things

1 - 12 of 12 Posts