Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2010 & Distinguished SOTW Member
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I have just found a couple of Vandoren V21 alto reeds that work GREAT on my D'Addario 155 mouthpiece! Is anyone else using these?

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
I have just found a couple of Vandoren V21 alto reeds that work GREAT on my D'Addario 155 mouthpiece! Is anyone else using these?
What strength?

If you're interested in discussing V21 reeds in general, there are a couple of extensive threads about them in the Reeds subforum. If your topic is narrower, then yes, I've tried V21s on classical alto mouthpieces, including the Reserve D155, which is my current piece. I like these reeds because I think they are a tad easier to blow than the Vandoren blue box. They remind me a little of Hemke reeds. But I'm basically a synth reed player (Forestone Black Bamboo 3.5 on alto), so I don't have a lot more to report here. I pull out a cane reed every once in a while just to remind myself why synthetics are less work to play. :)

I didn't know that you had switched to the D155. When did that happen? I don't think I saw you in the Reserve mouthpiece thread here (https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?319794-New-D-Addario-Reserve-Mouthpiece-(Classical)). What kind of horn have you paired it with?

·
Forum Contributor 2010 & Distinguished SOTW Member
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes the V21's ARE a tad easier to blow than the VD blue box. Which is why I think I like them on the 155. There seems to be some more inherent resistance in the 155, so an easier blowing reed is good.

I switched to the 155 last Spring. Initially, the resistance was quite off-putting and I thought it was just another mouthpiece I would buy, try and then put in a drawer. But, I hung in there with it, and then sent it to MOJO who listened to my complaints about the piece and made some minor adjustments and made it much more to my liking. I am using 2.5's, quite a step down from 3.5's VD's and 3 Reserves I had been using on my previous 'piece.

I like it VERY much on my 1931 Transitional Conn and (not as much, but still quite a lot) on my VI. I had been playing a 60's scroll shank C* for YEARS... and it has been replaced.

I have a boatload of Reserve 3's, VD blue box 3.5's to unload.

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
The D155 is slightly more resistant than the D150, and perhaps also more than the Selmer Concept or other comparable mouthpieces. Believe me, I'm not a fan of resistance, as many of my other posts here discuss, but I find the D155 to be a perfect match for very free-blowing altos, such as a Selmer III or a Yany, both of which I have. Nathan Nabb, who advised on the development of the Reserve mouthpiece, plays a Series III and uses the D155. This reinforces my belief that this Reserve model is the one designed for horns on the freer end of the spectrum. There has to be something to add control somewhere in the chain.

I read a review of the Reserve by a Mark VI player, and he preferred the D150 -- less resistance.

I think that if I tried a V21 2.5, I might end up liking it better than a no. 3, at least on the D155. My normal Black Bamboo 3.5 is still a pretty easy-blowing reed, like all Forestones. The combination of a free-blowing alto + a dark, slightly resistant mouthpiece + an easy-playing reed seems to be ideal for me. If I pick up any more V21s down the road, I might drop down in strength, as you have. But I just gave away a bunch of new cane reeds to other members of my band's sax section, so I don't have any immediate cane purchases planned. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts