Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a Vandoren V16 mouthpiece for my new Yamaha soprano. The bore seems too open because it just slides right down the cork and it rotates around while I try to play it. I also have a Morgan Vintage that is the same way. I tried the piece on my curved neck since the cork is untouched but it was only slightly better. Did someone say I should use teflon tape? Seems like kind of a mess. Should I really get a brand new horn recorked just to try a new mouthpiece? What about when I want to use my DV again which will compress the cork back down again?

·
Forum Contributor 2016, The official SOTW Little S
5,472 Posts
If you want to avoid the mess, I would go ahead and get it recorked. All new saxes may have to go through the shop before they are perfect, like getting it readjusted. It seems odd to have to replace a cork though. Is there a way you could get it shipped back to Yamaha to get it recorked perhaps for free since it is so new?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor
4,379 Posts
Teflon tape won't make a mess. Or, you can just use a strip of paper. Either way, you will be able to use all three mouthpieces. One advantage of teflon tape is that it's as slick as...well, teflon. Paper is easier to remove if you switch often from the big bore pieces to the DV.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah if I have a fatter cork put on, the DV will just squish it again. I wonder if I can do something like use the DV on the curved neck and one of the HR pieces on the straight neck. My thinking is maybe the curved neck would tone done a bit of the DV's brightness too.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
3,320 Posts
If you just want to try it, then I would just use paper and/or teflon tape to get it to seat right for now.

If you decide you like it, then consider recorking it, and if you then want to still use both moujthpieces you might need to either get the smaller one reamed out, or the larger one filled and redrilled. Or else consider the scimonetti corkless neck thing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts