Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I decided to try out a new mouthpiece for my Yani bari and purchased a Vandoren V16 B7 on Amazon. I tried it out today and am discovering that it seems the mouthpiece opening is slightly too large. In order to fit the mpc on the neck it needs to be pushed onto the neck cork fairly far, which causes my sax tuning to be too sharp. In order to get it in tune, I have to pull it back to the point that it no longer fits snuggly.

I thought that mouthpiece/neck connection sizes were universal. The stock Yani mouthpiece fit just fine.

Is this normal? Are there recommendations to make the mouthpiece fit better or should I return it?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
7,906 Posts
Completely normal.
Wrap some plumbers tape around your cork to compensate for the different diameter.
Or replace cork if the mouthpiece is a keeper.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks B Flat. This was my first time replacing a mouthpiece so I wasn't sure what was normal. I'll try the plumber tape trick. Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,034 Posts
If you like the mouthpiece, get the neck re-corked. Plumber's tape is great but if you need to try it fast, just wrap some paper around the cork.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I had same problem with a tenor V16 T8 and was using paper as a stopgap. When I got a new cork, the far better fit made low notes more responsive and the whole horn more comfortable. No more dangling mouthpiece either, since I only need to push halfway on the cork.

·
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,443 Posts
FYI, there is no standard on mouthpiece shank bore size or neck cork thickness. The sax manufacturer adjusts the neck cork to fit the mouthpiece supplied with the sax. After that, all bets are off. Shank bore size in a mouthpiece is one of the variables a mouthpiece maker uses to achieve his goals for that mouthpiece.

·
Registered
144 Posts
FYI, there is no standard on mouthpiece shank bore size or neck cork thickness. The sax manufacturer adjusts the neck cork to fit the mouthpiece supplied with the sax. After that, all bets are off. Shank bore size in a mouthpiece is one of the variables a mouthpiece maker uses to achieve his goals for that mouthpiece.
I really hope that's not true, and it would be a terrible shame if it were. I will admit limited experience, as I have only used 5 or 6 different mouthpieces on alto and tenor. But there was only one that did not fit tight enough on the cork so that it couldn't be brought in tune. How would the mouthpiece manufacturers expect players to try out their wares if they cannot be easily fitted on the horn? Teflon tape might be fine for too loose a fit, but what are you supposed to do if it's too tight? Sand down the cork so that your existing piece is now too loose? I suspect manufacturers work with a target range for bore size and depend on the flexibility of the cork to ensure a seal.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
bring a pot of water to a boil on the stove. dunk the cork end of the neck into the water just so the cork is submerged. Wait 20-30 second and pull it out and let it cool. Good chance your mouthpiece will be a nice snug fit after that.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
3,310 Posts
Ive never been brave enough to just immerse the cork for fear of things falling apart, but I have steamed necks over a boiling kettle in order to get the same effect.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Steaming works well.

·
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,443 Posts
I really hope that's not true, and it would be a terrible shame if it were. I will admit limited experience, as I have only used 5 or 6 different mouthpieces on alto and tenor. But there was only one that did not fit tight enough on the cork so that it couldn't be brought in tune. How would the mouthpiece manufacturers expect players to try out their wares if they cannot be easily fitted on the horn? Teflon tape might be fine for too loose a fit, but what are you supposed to do if it's too tight? Sand down the cork so that your existing piece is now too loose? I suspect manufacturers work with a target range for bore size and depend on the flexibility of the cork to ensure a seal.
Of course its true. Perhaps there's a consensus that many mouthpieces hit but many others will be bigger or smaller. Naturally the same is true for all the saxes, not just baritone. Trying mouthpieces can be a 'trying' business! Not only that. but you will find shank bores that are cylindrical and others that have a taper, so let's cut to the chase and just say knowing how to do your own neck corks is a good thing to know.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ive noticed that the vandorens are usually a looser fit that other mouthpieces. Usually I just wrap paper around the cork when I use that one because every other mouthpiece fits fine.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Dental floss is also good for adjusting for loose fitting mouthpieces.

·
Registered
219 Posts
My Ponzol M2 vs Ponzol II-V-I are similarly different albeit slightly, but enough to require tape or paper on most of my tenors. I have other mouthpieces with grossly different sizes. Your frustration is reasonable, but here is another person noting just what you do. I do remember having a cork replaced and the tech told me that I should have given him a mouthpiece so as to sand the new cork down.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts