Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think i'm gonna buy a V16, but i can't seem to find any listings for the tip opening measurements in inches. I've only come across metric measurements. I'm american, damnit, I NEED INCHES. Anybody know?
I get this feeling that the vandoren a5, a6, and a7 facings are the same measurement as the meyer 5, 6 and 7....

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2.54 it says on the chicagomp site. stupid decimals.....that chart is the best i've seen. thanks.
anybody seen the different chamber sizes for the V16? M or S....i wonder how small the S is...

·
Registered
137 Posts
This came in my last box of reeds. The chambers are like so...

Oh, I almost forgot...

I have an A15, which is a round chamber. I also have an A7S, and what you don't see in the picture is that the chamber is noticeably oval-shaped. Not sure if that makes a big difference.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i think i've settled on the 5S...i'm beginning to like pieces with a little more resistance....speckled lemon,if you had to compare the S chamber on your V16 to another mouthpiece chamber(not baffle), what would be close? a larry teal?

·
Registered
8,975 Posts
SpeckledLemon said:
This is a great illustration. I would call these from left to right:
1. squeeze chamber, or squeeze throat. AKA double chamber. Probably has a slight roll-over baffle near the tip rail.
2. same as 1 except it has a large roll-over baffle. I call this an arched baffle more often than a roll-over.
3. same as 2 except no squeeze.
4. a high baffle ramp-ramp, or wedge-ramp. Like a Dukoff D or Guardala MB.
5. no conventional words for this one. Its a streamlined oval squeeze.
6. this is a "bulb" chamber or throat. A vintage design not seen much anymore. If this is a "M" I'd hate to see what Vandoren calls a "L"...

·
Registered
137 Posts
dpmusic said:
i think i've settled on the 5S...i'm beginning to like pieces with a little more resistance....speckled lemon,if you had to compare the S chamber on your V16 to another mouthpiece chamber(not baffle), what would be close? a larry teal?
Erm...I don't know, I only have three mouthpieces: the two I mentioned, and a plastic Brilhart copy. Telling you what I sound like would be useless, but the Vandoren description of it fits the bill perfectly. It's small...very small.

MojoBari said:
1. squeeze chamber, or squeeze throat. AKA double chamber. Probably has a slight roll-over baffle near the tip rail.

If this is a "M" I'd hate to see what Vandoren calls a "L"...
If it has a baffle I need a microscope to see it. As for an L chamber, you can probably guess they don't have one...I'd love to try it though.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Mojo, would you say that the S chamber Vandoren V16 is really more like a medium then? I prefer the S, but I wish it said medium--I don't like the idea of playing on a small chamber piece!

·
Registered
8,975 Posts
Theo tossed out a basic def for chamber size on his old site. If the chamber is the same diameter are the neck cork, it is a "medium". You can figure out larger/smaller.

So the Vandoren S looks small to me but the M looks large.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
That would explain why I find the M chamber V16's to be really bland and unfocused, I should add that I think the small chamber would benefit from being slightly larger--mine gets a little too zippy....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,212 Posts
Interesting Ving...Brian Powell commented somewhere that he opens up the V16S chamber some to achieve an "as close to" Meyer M as possible.

·
Registered
137 Posts
ving said:
That would explain why I find the M chamber V16's to be really bland and unfocused, I should add that I think the small chamber would benefit from being slightly larger--mine gets a little too zippy....
Ya, it's definitely small...and very, very loud. It also seems very resistant, though maybe that's just me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts