Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Vandoren V16 B7 Optimum tenor ligature

I recently acquired a Vandoren V16 B7 mouthpiece for my baritone, and I have been using it with an Optimum tenor ligature that I had from before. At first the Optimum tenor ligature, the version made for V16 ebonite mouthpieces (LC08P), seemed like a perfect fit. However lately I have noticed that the pressure plates make an imprint at the front of the reed, researching this further has led me to believe that the ligature does not distribute pressure uniformly across the back of the read. The ligature seems to be more tight at the front then at the rear end.

I remember having read several places, even on SOTW, that the Optimum V16 tenor ebonite ligature was identical to the Optimum V16 baritone ligature, except for the cap. Does anyone here have any experience with both of these ligatures, to shed some light on this matter?

Any help would be highly appreciated!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
7,904 Posts
Perhaps you are tightening the front screw more than the rear screw.
Keep in mind also that reeds vary a lot between brands as to their dimensions, so this may have an effect also.
I have a Vandoren Baritone ligature that was specifically made to fit the B75 and B95 pieces.
It fits neither well with most reeds I use on them.
Having said that, it holds a reed firmly enough to seal so really I can’t complain too much.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I use exactly the same Vandoren V16 B7 bari mouthpiece/Vandoren Optimum tenor ligature combination that you describe, haven't noticed any problems until now (maybe didn't look close enough?).

·
Registered
8,979 Posts
Perhaps you are tightening the front screw more than the rear screw.
Keep in mind also that reeds vary a lot between brands as to their dimensions, so this may have an effect also.
I have a Vandoren Baritone ligature that was specifically made to fit the B75 and B95 pieces.
It fits neither well with most reeds I use on them.
Having said that, it holds a reed firmly enough to seal so really I can’t complain too much.
The Optimum ligature only has one screw. The pressure plate should be able to swivel about a center connection point to apply equal pressure to the reed contact points.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-17
1,899 Posts
Re: Vandoren V16 B7 Optimum tenor ligature

I recently acquired a Vandoren V16 B7 mouthpiece for my baritone, and I have been using it with an Optimum tenor ligature that I had from before. At first the Optimum tenor ligature, the version made for V16 ebonite mouthpieces (LC08P), seemed like a perfect fit. However lately I have noticed that the pressure plates make an imprint at the front of the reed, researching this further has led me to believe that the ligature does not distribute pressure uniformly across the back of the read. The ligature seems to be more tight at the front then at the rear end.

I remember having read several places, even on SOTW, that the Optimum V16 tenor ebonite ligature was identical to the Optimum V16 baritone ligature, except for the cap. Does anyone here have any experience with both of these ligatures, to shed some light on this matter?

Any help would be highly appreciated!
I bought both tenor and bari Optimum ligatures, and they are indeed identical. No idea why it wouldn't distribute pressure evenly, unless the plate is bent, not snapped in correctly...? I suggest removing the plate and see what happens.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Vandoren V16 B7 Optimum tenor ligature

I bought both tenor and bari Optimum ligatures, and they are indeed identical. No idea why it wouldn't distribute pressure evenly, unless the plate is bent, not snapped in correctly...? I suggest removing the plate and see what happens.
It is interesting to learn that the tenor and baritone Optimum ligatures are identical. The most likely fault with my ligature is that it somehow is bent out of geometry, I will have to look into this more closely. Strangely enough, the choice of pressure plate affects the performance of my Optimum ligature. When using pressure plates no 1 and 2 the ligature tightens in a non-parallell manner, like a slight "V-shape" when looking at the ligature mouthpiece tip pointing up (the way most saxophonists hold their mouthpiece when attaching the reed), resulting in more pressure at the front of the ligature. Pressure plate no 3 is slightly thinner, and when using this, the ligature tightens in a parallell manner, and the imprints on the reed suggests that pressure is evenly distributed. This is fine, except that I prefer using pressure plate no 2😐

Thank you all for sharing your experience!

·
Registered
618 Posts
Have you tried flipping the pressure plate "front to back" and seeing if that makes a difference?

I don't think they are directional, like an Otto Link ligature.

It's a cheap experiment.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Maybe it's a manufacturing defect?

The "fin" that is attached to the plate is maybe cooked?

I dunno, just a thought.

I had one break off and my repair guy re-soldered it good as new.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
UPDATE: I realised my ligature was slightly bent out of geometry, and after reshaping it to better fit my mouthpiece it now performs much better. It seems to put equal pressure in the front and at the back of the reed. So, all is well👍

1 - 10 of 10 Posts