Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,397 Posts
Buy the small chamber version. Way better than the M chamber in my mind. If you've been playing a Yamaha 4C for some time, why not give the 5S+ a try? Vincent Herring used this setup essentially for some time and sounds great!

Find your local music store and see what they have in stock and try all the pieces you're interested in and see which one is the most COMFORTABLE. That'll be the one you stick with the longest.

Good luck with your search!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
How would you compare de Jumbo A45 vs the V16 in terms of tonal characteristics and projection?
Did you also compare the A45 and the A55?
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Zorroperro,
How would you compare de Jumbo A45 vs the V16 8S in terms of tonal characteristics and projection?
Did you also compare the Jumbo A45 and the A55?
Thanks.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,092 Posts
The v16 is an excellent step up from a 4c. Compared to the 4c, it will be a bit more difficult to play accurately at first, but will offer much greater flexibility of expression, dynamic range and tone color. It is my favorite Vandoren mouthpiece, and I'm sure Sebastian could explain exactly why, since he knows my mouthpieces intimately (he made them lol).

For most of my students (and myself), I think of the mass-produced pieces as a wasteful middle step, and I recommend going to a high end hand made piece for serious students who are planning to continue playing throughout their life, since I find the positive qualities of a good mouthpiece are even more pronounced with the perfect mouthpiece (for you). That said, there are a great many (VERRRY good) players who play Vandoren pieces right out of the box, swear by them and sound spectacular. Ralph Bowen and Bruce Williams are both world class players who play Vandoren pieces.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2008-2017
2,282 Posts
Yes, I have played the three.

Projection is better in the Jumbos, V16's tend to be thinner at the low and high end of the horn. Not a thin mouthpiece, just Jumbos are fuller there. Altissimo is pretty good on all of them, being the JJA45 in my opinion, the best of all.

V16 gives me the impression of having more harmonics, while Jumbo Java is kind of more focused and more powerful, indeed.

Between A45 and A55 the A55 has better low notes, kind of fuller. But A45 is a state of the art for altissimo and multi-phonics.

All of the pieces were played with Java Green No. 3 reeds and Vandoren Optimum Ligature.

The sax was a Selmer Paris Series II.

Zorroperro,
How would you compare de Jumbo A45 vs the V16 8S in terms of tonal characteristics and projection?
Did you also compare the Jumbo A45 and the A55?
Thanks.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Oh man these pieces are killer. After years of playing vintage pieces I never thought I'd try a modern piece let alone a Vandoren but not long ago my teacher gave me one to try and I am totally in love with it, an 8 small chamber. If you want a big of extra volume and power go with the small chamber over the medium, it's a great piece regardless for any style of playing and won't make you break your wallet to find one!

21 - 26 of 26 Posts