Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd recently switched to Rigotti Gold from Rico Select Jazz on tenor and I love them. The problem is that they go out of stock much more frequently than other brands. I can't find 3 1/2 medium or 3 1/2 strong available until 10/10. So I'm looking for something serviceable I can use if I need reeds but can't get a hold of Rigotti's at the moment. I'm looking for something that'll be widely available, so I'm not really interested in other smaller manufacturers like Roberto's, Francois Louis, or Woodstone. Looking more at Rico and Vandoren because of availability.

I just bought a box of RSJ 3H but they were awful. Never had much success with Rico Royal. LaVoz used to work for me (not as beefy as the Rigotti's) but with where my air support is now the Medium Hards will be too soft and the Hards will likely be too hard.

So I'm looking more in the direction of Vandoren. Anybody know which Vandoren reed comes closest to a Rigotti?

Any other suggestions?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,466 Posts
Roberto's reeds are the same reed...(Roberto's in NYC) he'll mail you some.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
4,446 Posts
I was playing Vandoren Java Green box before switching to Rigotti's. Similar, but in my opionion, the Rigotti's are more consistent...and cheaper.

·
Banned
3,000 Posts
For me, Rigotti Golds are kind of like a cross between RJS and V16s. So if you don't want to go back to the RJSs, you might want to try some V16s.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,682 Posts
I agree with Buck. I've actually gone back and forth between the Rigotti Gold and V16 (on tenor) and they have a lot of similarity. Lately I've been sticking with the V16, because I find them to have a little more depth or warmth (the key words are "a little") and they definitely seem to last longer, or I should say they stay consistent for a longer period of time. The Rigottis seem to change and get brighter as I play them. Anyway they are in the same ballpark.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
I was playing Vandoren Java Green box before switching to Rigotti's. Similar, but in my opionion, the Rigotti's are more consistent...and cheaper.
+1 - not sure about them being more consitent since I just started playing them coming from Green box Javas but I think I paid $22 for a box of 10 from WW&BW compared to $19 for a box of Vandorens.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,466 Posts
I don't think the Javas are anything like any Rigotti reed I've played. The Javas are bright and buzzy. As I said above Roberto's reeds are Rigottis as are the Francois Louis-but the FL's are cut different and remind me more of Vandoren blue box.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't think the Javas are anything like any Rigotti reed I've played. The Javas are bright and buzzy. As I said above Roberto's reeds are Rigottis as are the Francois Louis-but the FL's are cut different and remind me more of Vandoren blue box.
The thing about Roberto's is that they sell them for virtually list price. WWBW sells Rigotti Gold's for $23 and RW sells them for $41 which is also what they sell their own brand for. I'm not paying $4+ per reed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts