Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Vandoren reed case for my reeds and I have been noticing something strange lately. I will get four new ones that I like and put them in there and after a couple days they get a brown color on them. It almost looks like mold or something. I thought these cases were supposed to keep the reeds fresh and last longer but right now I am a bit skeptic. Does anyone know why this is happening? Thanks

·
Registered
853 Posts
It's mold. Those cases work by keeping the reeds fairly humid so they don't dry out too fast and warp. In the spring and summer months especially, the cases can act like petri dishes. Try rubbing down your reeds so they're not too wet when you put them away. Also make sure you're taking all the reeds out every day or so. If you don't play on your reeds every day or so, you may want to try the Vito or LaVoz reed cases.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
You may need to change the little cartridge. I personally like the reed mate cases better. I think the fact that they are clear works better as the light gets to them. I have had molding in the Vandoren cases as well.

http://www.reedmate.com/

·
Registered
297 Posts
I've used the Vandoren reed cases for years and never had any problem with mold. There are so many variables that can affect the condition of your reeds. I usually rinse off my reeds after a practice session since saliva tends to break down the reeds. I also very gently squeegee the reed between my thumb and forefinger (from near the heel out to the tip) to push away excess moisture. Once you DO get mold (I've gotten it, just not in the Vandoren cases) you need to clean out the case thoroughly with alcohol to kill it off. Once it gets started, mold can be tenacious on almost any surface where there is moisture. Good luck.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice everyone! I will try to clean my reed case first and see if that works but if it doesn't, then I will consider the other options.

·
Registered
46 Posts
kinda' late but here's what i did. The case comes apart into 3 parts. top, bottom, and the plate that holds the 4 reeds. Ditch the charcoal pack, it's useless(to me). Drill holes all the way through the top and bottom piece, NOT the plate. Clean both out to make sure there is no shavings inside. Then, reassemble the reed case. When you close it by putting the top on do not close it all the way, leave about a 2-4mm of space between the top and bottom(you should be able to see part of your reeds. This will allow your reeds to dry evenly, without warping, but will also allow air to pass through so that your reeds do not get moldy.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,215 Posts
I've been using my Vandoren reed 'box' for... 9 years maybe, and have never had a problem with reeds molding.
It's still got the original charcol thingy too.
BUT, I'm not a 'wet' player.

FYI, Alcohol will not kill mold or it's spores. Chlorine bleach does that.
Soak it in a light soulution of bleach and water and rinse well.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
i recommend rico reed case, is very good really, i add a vandoren for alto and it wasn't good for humidity and also scratched a little the reeds..
rico as both way control (what is good) if you change from humidity to dry places or the other way...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does anyone know where I can buy replacement charcoal pieces?

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,215 Posts
I know that my music shop doesn't carry them. You may have to order from Vandoren.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts