Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there!

I recently purchased a Vandoren Optimum ligature. It works great as is, but for some reason the pressure plate that came attached to the lig won't come off. I tried pushing it off while loosening the screw as instructed, but the thing just won't pop off, even if I apply some SERIOUS effort. Like I'm afraid I'll bend the lig if I try to push it harder.

Has anybody else had this problem? Or could you perhaps give me some clearer instructions as to how to replace the pressure plate? It's not that the pressure plate that's on it right now doesn't work great, but I just paid ~$70 for a lig, I'd like to get the most out of it. Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Craig

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,482 Posts
Craig: Does the plate rotate freely at the point where it attaches to the framework? Are you pressing in the correct direction? I know - sounds simple but I had to ask . . . one never knows until asked. Mine come off and go on easily. DAVE

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes it does rotate freely, and I'm pretty sure. I'm pushing it inwards, so that if there were no gravity and I forced it off straight it would hit the inside of the top of the ligature. I really don't know why it won't just let go

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,911 Posts
it will pop out , it is just clicked in nothing more , loosen the screw, tilt forward the plate, push it up and forward. If you need to do that (but I can’t see why you should) spray some wd 40, wipe off and repeat. Don’t be scared to apply some force.

·
14,482 Posts
Inwards or outwards - hard to be objective with those terms. I agree with milandro - I'd use some force in either direction in which the plate rotates. Mine DO require some pressure to snap off the fixture. DAVE

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the tips, everyone. I just got it to come off! The thing is, I didn't try doing anything differently, but just kept repeating about 10 times and eventually it gave. Maybe it was just a particularly stubborn plate, having never been taken off before since being shipped from the factory. Again, thanks!

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Thanks for the tips, everyone. I just got it to come off! The thing is, I didn't try doing anything differently, but just kept repeating about 10 times and eventually it gave. Maybe it was just a particularly stubborn plate, having never been taken off before since being shipped from the factory. Again, thanks!
Jeez I just saw this.. .I just started a thread on the exact same thing.

I bent and tried and tried and bent the damn thing ...afraid of breaking it or creasing the soft metal of the body.

Andrew-- how does turning the screw have any effect on the tightness of the snap-in piece? that doesnt make any sense. Its loose and free rotating as can be..it just doesn't snap out without a fight.

its a definite mfgring error... they should take these back.

·
41,911 Posts
well, it is brass and it may tarnish , just rub it and most of the tarnish should come off if it doesn’t use some not too aggressive polish , i wouldn’t worry too much about it. It may not ever become “ new” but then everything gets older

·
41,911 Posts
well, there may be many reasons why one piece of brass does tarnish and the other doesn’t , in any case it is not going to fall apart ,oxidation is only superficial and cleaning it shouldn’t be too difficult, good luck

·
41,911 Posts
you probably didn’t miss anything, at some point I had 3 optimum and I changed the plates to all never ever understanding what the “ difference” was , the same I had with a Francois Louis .

·
3,599 Posts
Agreed - I only have one optimum lig and it's for my clarinet. I've based my choice of plate on which one holds my legere euro the best. I don't notice a sound difference.

·
Registered
727 Posts
When you want to take the plate off, you have to turn the screw out while pushing on the plate. To put the plate in, turn the screw in.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts