·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,942 Posts
I use both of them.

"Jazz sound" is what you want it to be - and there's a lot of it out there that I'd rather not hear.

Either lig will do the job - both have the same issue of balancing the assembly before tightening. The Optimum is less likely to break but I don't use either one as a vise and have never damaged a lig in 40+ years of playing.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor
4,379 Posts
I have tried the FL Ultimate, but not the Optimum. The FL is too fussy, and both are too expensive. I always return to the traditional 2-screw ligs for ease of use and good sound. As you can tell from Dr G's response, some people find those ligs to be worth it. I don't.

·
32,942 Posts
Yes, I'm a gear head and freely admit it - I also never buy gear at retail. I have one of those pretty lil' filigree Charles Bay ligs too but nobody ever asks about those.

Shiny!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor
4,379 Posts
I haven't tried a Bay, but they're so pretty they have to be worth it.

·
32,942 Posts
You've got that right!

They're certainly worth what I didn't pay for it. [rolleyes]

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have played both and IMHO the ultimate was less fussy with reeds. I get 7-8 playable reeds out of a box where i was averaging 5-6 with the optimum. For me a Meyer 5 Rigotti Gold 2 1/2 hard and my mark VI is one of the best combination I have played (other than my mentors SBA). I recently switched to the FL pure brass and it was even better than the ultimate. It feels like the mouthpiece is able to resonate more with the pure brass.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I use both of them.

"Jazz sound" is what you want it to be - and there's a lot of it out there that I'd rather not hear.

Either lig will do the job - both have the same issue of balancing the assembly before tightening. The Optimum is less likely to break but I don't use either one as a vise and have never damaged a lig in 40+ years of playing.
I overtighten ligatures. I've stripped the screws on a plastic Giglotti and Vandoren Master clarinet and saxophone ligatures. I've tried but I can't damage the Optimum or the new Vandoren with the screw on top. Guys I play with using the Ultimate seem to be constantly adjusting their reeds. It's also a strange looking thing.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I have played both and IMHO the ultimate was less fussy with reeds. I get 7-8 playable reeds out of a box where i was averaging 5-6 with the optimum. For me a Meyer 5 Rigotti Gold 2 1/2 hard and my mark VI is one of the best combination I have played (other than my mentors SBA). I recently switched to the FL pure brass and it was even better than the ultimate. It feels like the mouthpiece is able to resonate more with the pure brass.
I wish I could say that. I have a drawer full of ligatures. My bad reeds don't play on any of them. My good reeds play on all of them.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Bad reeds are bad reeds. But out of a box of 10 where 3 where gig quality and 2-3 where practice quality. With the pure brass I was getting 2-3 at gig quality with won that was tolerable on a gig and and 3-4 at practice quality. Nothing fixes and oblong heart or a flaw in the cane.

I recently took my 2 old go to ligatures the Oligiture and a Vandoren Master and played them on my best reed and they all played, there was just a little something extra I felt I got from the FL pure brass. It could all be psychological (which lets be serious a lot of this stuff is) but it makes a difference to me so thats all the convincing I need

·
Registered
65 Posts
I wish I could say that. I have a drawer full of ligatures. My bad reeds don't play on any of them. My good reeds play on all of them.

Bad reeds are bad reeds. But out of a box of 10 where 3 where gig quality and 2-3 where practice quality. With the pure brass I was getting 2-3 at gig quality with won that was tolerable on a gig and and 3-4 at practice quality. Nothing fixes and oblong heart or a flaw in the cane.

I recently took my 2 old go to ligatures the Oligiture and a Vandoren Master and played them on my best reed and they all played, there was just a little something extra I felt I got from the FL pure brass. It could all be psychological (which lets be serious a lot of this stuff is) but it makes a difference to me so thats all the convincing I need

·
Distinguished SOTW member
4,673 Posts
I have a FL for tenor and an Optimum for alto.

I had a problem with the FL for a while, it would slip off, sometimes when I was playing. I don't know why, but it stopped doing that.
Even though it looks kinda fragile, I have had no problems with it in the last 10 years. The reed responds well with it. It can be a problem finding a cap for it though, I use a baritone cap along with a rubber band .

The Optimum has 3 different plates with subtle differences on each. It easily fits different size mouthpieces. I have dropped it and it became pretty crooked which affected the response, I managed to bend it back into shape and it performed as before. It's a bit too pliable in my opinion.

I'm OK with either one of these ligs but if something ever happened to them I would get a Marc Jean as replacements, I tried a few and there is a little something extra about them.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,937 Posts

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,019 Posts
Just to be really clear, you will NOT, under any circumstances, get a jazz sound (or rock sound, or classical sound, or any other sound) from a ligature. Period, end of story.

What you will find are ligatures that fit well and ligs that don't fit well. The ones that don't fit well won't hold the reed properly and for that reason the reed might not respond properly. So get a lig that fits really well, and doesn't slip, and you can forget all about ligs and concentrate on playing.

I second daigle's suggestion of the marc jean lig. Or any basic 2-screw lig that fits well.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Ligatures don't make you sound better; they only give different responses.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Any 2 screw design (inverted or regular) will allow for a more custom fit to various mouthpieces as compared to a 1 screw design (Optimum & Ultimate).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Somebody told me that my lower register would be better if I played on a metal ligature because it would have more 'support'. I use the Rovner Dark for classical and Light for jazz. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Any 2 screw design (inverted or regular) will allow for a more custom fit to various mouthpieces as compared to a 1 screw design (Optimum & Ultimate).
i agree. iv tried the FL and optimum, even the BG. I prefer the rico H. its cheaper, looks pretty sick, and imo, is MUCH more flexible. i feel like rail ligatures don't allow much flexibility in general. The H has very minimal contact with only the center portion of the reed. Try the rico H. its 30 bucks, cant go wrong.

·
28,937 Posts
Somebody told me that my lower register would be better if I played on a metal ligature because it would have more 'support'. I use the Rovner Dark for classical and Light for jazz. What do you guys think?
I think you shouldn't believe everything people say. Including me.

Having said that, if it really is the ligature causing problems, screw it up a bit tighter. Do you oil your Rovner as recommended?

·
28,937 Posts
I just wrote a long answer, then realisedI didn't quite understand what you mean by "custom fit". What is it exactly?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts