Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are some threads about this for other Barone mouthpieces, but I know the SNY that I have has a smaller diameter than the older Hollywood that I have, so I am hoping to get some confirmation from anyone who's used them.

I picked up a Barone SNY a couple of years back that I have played on and off since then, largely because I have succumbed to buying way too many mouthpieces since then and have been messing around with mouthpieces as much as playing. I've been enjoying it a lot lately, but am a little frustrated with my ligature situation.

I have three ligatures that fit ok, but are a little annoying to use. My 404s are a little too big with a Legere American Cut or a BSS reed. The bottom screw closes, but the top screw bottoms out before it secures the reed. It kind of works, but the reed isn't very secure.

The 402 also mostly works. It holds the reed well and doesn't do anything weird to the sound, but that ligature is just barely big enough to use and the bottom screw on that one is holding on by a couple of threads. I regularly drop that screw on the ground putting the ligature on and off, which is very annoying.

I also have a selmer two-screw ligature for a HR soprano mouthpiece that kind of works, but I had to replace the lower screw with a random longer one I had in the drawer to get it to open wide enough and even then it's a simlar situation to the 402 where that bottom screw is easy to drop.

I am hoping to use an Optimum or M/O ligature on this mouthpiece, since I think they are nice to use, well made, and pretty unfussy based on my experience with them on clarinet.

Would the metal tenor size Optimum fit the Barone? I'm a little wary of it being too large and not holding securely. Would it be better to get the HR soprano size?

I would also really like to try one of the M/O soprano ligatures on here, but I know those have an indentation for the reed that usually prevents them being used for a larger reed in their stock form. Has anyone had any luck expanding one of those reed notches for a bigger reed? I'm thinking if it's a close enough diameter, I could put an old reed on the mouthpiece and use a jeweler's hammer to form it around the larger reed.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
I'm not sure about the Vandorens but the lig that comes with a metal Yani tenor piece is between the size of the Selmer 402 & 404. This is what I've been using on my JodyJazz Chi for years.

If yo don't need too much you can also file a bit off the inside of the screw mounts which will let the 404 close more before it bottoms out. I've done this a few times to deal with pieces that have unusual ODs or tapers.

·
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
So I ended up trying both the Optimum and the MO. The Optimum is just a little too large. With a reed with a thicker heel, like a D'Addario Select Jazz, it just barely makes enough contact with the reed when tightening all the way if I scoot the ligature back so that the end of it is hanging off the body of the mouthpiece a little. With my normal BSS and Rigotti Gold reeds, the screw bottoms out before it secures the reed. The ligature works very well on my Otto Link and slightly larger tenor mouthpieces, so I'll keep it around.

The HR soprano MO ended up not fitting in a way that I wasn't expecting but probably should have. At first glance, it seemed like about the right diameter and like it would fit if I just got the reed indentation to widen for a tenor reed. I put an old reed on the mouthpiece and took a jeweler's hammer (basically a small mallet) and tapped the indentation as flat as I could against the reed, then tried to reshape around the edges of the tenor reed. That went OK. It wasn't pretty, but not horrible. Then I went to tighten and realized that I the top of the mouthpiece slopes a lot more drastically relative to the table than this ligature is expecting. So the back tightens, but the front is loose. Naturally, I rendered this one unreturnable within a few minutes of taking it out of the box, so I guess I'll have to keep this one around and see if there is a use for it down the road.

This has become a frustrating and kind of dumb problem. The ligature that works best is a 402, but it's barely holding on by a thread. I'm probably going to pull through those last couple of threads at some point. I stuck a longer screw in from a ligature I had Iying around, but the threads feel pretty grainy with that one, enough that I'm worried about cross threading. At this point, I think I am only going to try two screw ligatures unless I can try a one screw in person and determine if the shape fits my mouthpiece before I buy. I can file down a 404, but the body of this mouthpiece is so short that I basically have to line the end of the ligature up with the very end of the body to get it to sit far enough back from the vamp of the reed, so that might end up with a result as unsatisfying as just dealing with the 402.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
About a month ago, I found that the Rovner P-1M fit an older Barone tenor metal Handcraft perfectly. I don’t know if the SNY metal has a similar or identical profile though.

·
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I have a Rovner star series that mostly works, but I am not a big fan of Rovners or fabric ligatures in general. I don't like the way they sound from behind the horn.

·
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh, interesting. I've not tried that one. I can't tell if that mouthpiece has a comparable exterior shape to mine, but I'd be curious to try that ligature next time I am at a music store that has one in stock.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts