Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I need some advice from Jumbo Java users. I just got an A45, after playing on metal alto pieces for a long time. I'm using ZZ #2 reeds on the Jumbo.
I'm getting sqeaks from G2 upwards. Is this due to the reed? Shd I be trying a harder reed? Any other advice on taming this beast?

·
Registered
730 Posts
I would try a harder reed and see if that eliminates the problem. The JJ I played didn't seem squeak prone at all. I suppose its also possible that there's a little defect in the facing, but its more than likely a reed issue.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,124 Posts
Have tried this one. G2 and up is where the neck octave key opens. Doesn't sound like gear problem to me. Vandorens are consistently well made. Perhaps a harder reed will do the trick. A lower baffle mouthpiece will too. Otherwise, if you (and your surroundings) can tolerate it, the problem will likely disappear over time as you make the necessary adjustments. I don't have the knowledge to tell you what adjustments to make but likely someone on this forum can. In my case it just got less frequent over time and eventually vanished without really knowing why other than I relaxed more when playing.

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
You are using a fresh reed right? not one that you played on the other mpc? sometimes a harder reed helps. but it can just be some time to get used to it. the baffle of the Jumbo may be higher than you are used to.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bill,

I was using an old Fibracell #2 reed from my previous mouthpiece. I'm gonna change to a new CANE reed. Perhaps a ZZ #2.5
My previous alto pieces were Beechlers. I guess it must be the higher baffle.
Thanks.

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
I know Mojo likes to relieve a bit of the baffle right behindthe tip to help avoid squeaks. He did that for me several years ago on a T75 tenor Jumbo I had at the time, still had the power and no squeaks. Wish I had kept that piece.

·
Mouthpiece Refacer Extraordinaire and Forum Contri
3,406 Posts
How did you fare with the cane reed? I find Fibracells squeak LESS than cane.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts