Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering what the Vandoren Java alto mouthpieces play like (the regular Java, NOT the Jumbo). I have a basic sound reference from hearing Steve Coleman play them, but I'm curious about the mouthpiece itself. Are they similar to any other classic make/model? (Link, Brilhart, etc).....

·
Registered
534 Posts
I played a Vandoren Java for a couple of months before switching to a Phil-Tone Meyer. I personally feel the Vandoren Java is brighter and edgier than my Phil-Tone Meyer.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,243 Posts
Wayne Braxton in Braxton Brothers plays (at least did play) a Java mpc. I got at Blue Java A35, it is brighter than a Meyer, but not as bright as a Beechler Diamond. In a way, an in-between mpc (what we all want???)
The facing on mine is uneven so I am going to reface it, then It will be a killer!!

I also got a Blue Java T95 that I put a small wedge/baffel in (not as high as a Jumbo Java): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxzE4mvH7H8

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
I'm interested in how the Java mouthpieces compare to V16 medium and V16 small chamber mouthpieces.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I've played them, java (A35) and V16 (A6 S). The V16 is more similar to Meyer NY, and perhaps it's easier to play. I think the java is more versatile than V16. Between V16 S and M I prefer the medium chamber.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I have played all of these pieces, V5 A35, Java A35, V16 A7m & A7s all of which are approximately 80thou tip and I would put them in the following order of brightness (warm to bright):
V5 A35
V16 A7m
Java A35
V16 A7s

The Java A35 has a somewhat similar tonality to the V16 A7m, but the Java A35 is slightly brighter and, due to the smaller bore and slightly concave side walls, it has a more 'focused' and complex tone. I agree with goldmedal that the V16 is similar to the 'Meyer' type of mouthpiece. Whereas IMHO the Java A35 has a more modern ring to it and might be considered a more unusual choice.

The V16 A7s is considerably brighter than the others.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts