Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm new to this forum, and my eyes are burning because it's been about 4 hours non-stop reading interesting articles about saxophones in this forum.

Anyway, I would like to ask some questions about mouthpiece for beginners.

I have a Vandoren V5 A25 mouthpiece, is this a good mouthpiece to start as a beginner?

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have no experience with vandoren mouthpieces, but most people will say that they are quality pieces(no junk) and are pretty good. I know that when I started on Alto(I am assume you are becuase it is an [A]25 it is an alto mpc) I used a Meyer 5m and liked it alot. And it is good you have become addicted to the site just like me:D

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2011
774 Posts
I had an A25, and got on with it very well, as does the beginner to whom I eventually sold it.
I found it much more suited to me than the similarly-sized Selmer S80D which I had before it.

Vandorens also have a reputation for being well made and consistent.

Start with a soft reed.... I used a Rico #2 and Vandoren #1.5 initially.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2011
774 Posts
SpeckledLemon said:
You bet it is!

Go with Roger's comment on the soft reeds, though...maybe a half strength higher...good luck!
Well, I was starting with sixty-something y.o. chops, SpecLem, so needed a bit more help :)
I can still only manage a RJS 2S...occasionally 2M!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello everyone~
Thank you very much for your replies...
It's good to know that I'm not using an extreme mouthpiece..
Well.. The most important thing is that I feel very comfortable with this mouthpiece.

Thanks again for your comments.

PS) I use Vandoren traditional reed No. 2.5 and V16 2.5.

·
Registered
137 Posts
rogerb40uk said:
Well, I was starting with sixty-something y.o. chops, SpecLem, so needed a bit more help :)
I can still only manage a RJS 2S...occasionally 2M!
And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I bought one for my new Alto a year ago. I found out that it gave me no REAL advantage over the Jupiter 4C.

So I traded it for a Vandoren Optimum AL3 for it's unique sound.

The A25 seems to be fine, nothing special. If You like it, and it works for You, just keep it :)

·
Registered
200 Posts
yea ive never had an A25 but if it works for u right now then just use it................later u will find though that u will need 2 upgrade your mouthpiece

as you get more talented your ability will surpass your muthpiece (trust me i kno)

i played on an e-z tone for about idk..........roughly 3 1/2 years ( i have been playing sax for about 5 years now) because i was a poor bastard and never got a new one. but when i finally upgraded 2 a s80c* ( which i highly reccomend) my tone improved astronomically

and my tone was not that bad on the e-z tone either..........but yea what i had learned was that my mouthpiece was holding me back from improving in many aspects of my playing........equipment does matter

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
29,311 Posts
FatSound said:
Hello, I'm new to this forum, and my eyes are burning because it's been about 4 hours non-stop reading interesting articles about saxophones in this forum.

Anyway, I would like to ask some questions about mouthpiece for beginners.

I have a Vandoren V5 A25 mouthpiece, is this a good mouthpiece to start as a beginner?
Yes that's a very good mouthpiece to use, it may well last you a long time.

Good luck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts