Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

Registered
to the OP - make this a Poll -

Q: would you rather spend $700 on a Carbon ligature or buy a new mouthpiece?

Just a guy who plays saxophone.
to the OP - make this a Poll -

A mouthpiece? You can buy 2-3 really nice pieces for that money. How about a Barone neck, a $350 boutique piece, and enough to buy most any ligature besides this one and the Roberto鈥檚 Egg鈥ou can afford the napkin ring though.

Registered
It鈥檚 incredibly that while mouthpiece makers are trying to make some products more affordable, either using different materials or doing sales every now and then, ligatures are becoming more expensive!! 馃く馃く馃く馃く. I don鈥檛 get it!! It鈥檚 BY FAR the least important part of an instrument. I always used a 鈥渟hoe鈥 analogy when it comes to ligatures. The shoe itself ( mouthpiece), the sole(reeds), the style and colour ( the horn), the strings ( the ligature). That鈥檚 all it does, holding the shoe to your foot, keeping it tight and comfortable positioned. That鈥檚 it.

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
the use of carbon fiber in most saxophone applications maks no sense at all.

The material has a lower weight ( when brands like vandoren also propagate the wrong notion that heavier 鈥 mass鈥 equals better sound ) and a higher tensile resistance ( which, if anything, would encourage over tightening which induces all manner of problems).

The true reason is that they can ask (because of the perceived 鈥 value鈥) a lot more money than they normally can ask.
Ligatures are, as noted above, things with a limited, fairly simple function but one of the areas where marketing has always concentrated

Registered
Huh. Who ever thought the egg would seem cheap? Free shipping though.

Registered
Vandoren LC87GOP Carbon Ligature for Alto Saxophone - Gold Screw $ 699 .00 + FREE Shipping

Okay just ridiculous pricing, they do say you are getting a golden screw. 馃く
Golden screw is right.

Reactions: Superlative

Registered
Thank the mouthpiece Gods I will not be tempted to buy or try one as it is mouthpiece specific!
So limited to a specific mouthpiece body profile.
NB: the 鈥淐ARBON鈥 ligature is designed to be played only with Vandoren mouthpieces

We can all relax cause these things are not going to sell, I will wait for a Chinese knock off.
Maybe someone will make a carbon fiber mouthpiece and label it the Hummingbird the lightest mouthpiece available pair it with a carbon fiber reed and ligature and sell it for those wanting to enhance their trill skills?

Forum Contributor 2017
鈥淚 play sax but mostly it plays me鈥
I鈥檓 a ligature collector and all of 40+ ligatures combined didn鈥檛 cost this much. Besides the fact that carbon fiber is not a very good material for use for saxophones. I鈥檒l take brass or copper any day of the week.

Registered
Just one mouthpiece?

And I would never consider spending $70 on a ligature (love my Rovners!), let alone $700. That price is just stupid.

Reactions: BrianMitchellBrody

Registered
In the wrong thread I think.

Banned
Has anyone popped for the new Vandoren carbon ligature? $700.00 from Meridian Winds. Who will be the first? No, this is real.
Incredibly light in weight;
Does not interfere with your reed's natural vibrations
Full clear harmonic spectrum
Makes attacks and articulation much easier馃

Registered
Cannonball Vintage Reborn Tenor Sax with Cannonball 5J hr (Meyer clone produced by JJ Babbitt))
Incredibly light in weight;
Does not interfere with your reed's natural vibrations
Full clear harmonic spectrum
Makes attacks and articulation much easier馃
Doesn't practice do all of that?

Reactions: sopsax

Registered
Reactions: JimD and Ixthusdan
1 - 20 of 37 Posts