Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if there is already a thread, i couldnt find one.

Just wanted to get all your opinions on the A28 mouthpiece,
I have played on the following
C*
D
AL3
C* soloist (old and new)
S90 180
S90 190
S90 200
A17

and now i am on the A28, yes i know im a mouthpiece junky, but i might have settled now, i know some amazing sax players use this piece (vincent David, Claude Delangle) and i can see why, it has an amazing warmth with projection and clarity, it is harder to control then most of the other pieces i have tried but i feel with time i will learn to really love this mouthpiece

Anyone who has spent some time with it got any opinions?

·
Distinguished Member
57 Posts
That's been my exact experience with it. It is not the easiest piece to play from the start, but it's range of color and ease of altissimo and so many other things make it worth working on for a while. I've been playing it for about 3 months now, and I've been really happy with how it plays. I'd definitely recommend putting in some time and I think you will definitely grow to love it.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks david,
Do you use vandoren 3s?
Im used to using 3.5s on the other mouthpieces but the 3 works well for me on this piece

·
Distinguished Member
57 Posts
I played on 3.5 with my AL3, and I initially played on 3 with the A28, but I've moved back to 3.5 after a while of playing it. I think either can work pretty well with it. I tend to lean towards the soft end of my 3.5 these days...

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I too have spent some good time with the A28. I do think it is a great piece as well; the colors are amazing and like David said, its wirth the extra effort to play. Delangle does use this one still, though he switches frequently, and V.David used one for a long time until moving back to a S90. I believe Hiroshi Hara plays one as well...

Steve P

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
709 Posts
It's a great sounding piece, and the only one I've found that plays in tune on both an SX-90R and a Buffet S1. Easy blowing, colorful--I like it a lot.

·
Registered
31 Posts
mostly alto guy, I notice you're in Djibouti. What's it like there? I have a gig there at New Year and don't really know anything about the place.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
709 Posts
It's incredibly hot (over 100 every day now), windy lately, and not very exciting. Actually a pretty depressing place if you let it be, but I'm amazed at how happy the people seem to be. I'm here on military duty. What's bringing you here?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts